Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Whats that? Another 6.0 swap thread?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whats that? Another 6.0 swap thread?!

So my 5.3 had been drinking coolant since last September. Had multiple pressure checks done, even dye in the coolant, and all that we could determine was that there were no external leaks. Also, I did not have Castech heads.

I continued to drive the truck, as it is my commuter vehicle, until another sign showed up - the oil level light came on. So I parked it, drained the oil that night (this was March 26th). It didn't drain, it just clumped out. Well, at least I had confirmation on where the coolant was going. It drained for HOURS! I let it sit overnight draining.

All along I had determined I would be getting an LQ9 GM reman crate motor. My parts guy already had a line on two of them. I told him the next day to get it ordered.

After removing the valve covers, it looks as though whatever went bad did so on the drivers side. That side was a chocolate malt, while the pass side was a black caked on mess. So after 252,700 miles, the 5.3 was dead. I thought I took pictures of the rocker areas, but after review it looks as though I did not.

Some searching showed me many others have experienced the same thing. Common problem, which was too bad, I had hoped the 5.3 would last longer than it did. I hope to have the exhaust and intake manifold back on today and get it started.

I have only a couple of pictures, I'll get them up on here later when I get some more time. Nothing special with the 6.0 - stock motor, but I still have my Volant and Dynatech long tube headers. I've got a stock tune to load up and will be getting it tuned within the coming weeks. I hope my FLT tranny holds up.

Here's a pic of nasty oil that came out. Very clumpy.

Lots of evidence of oil in the intake.

Last edited by SnakeOiler; 04-26-2012 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck, on working on the same thing
Old 04-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats the same millage when my buddys 4.8 died except his leak was external. my DD has 165K and its just started sucking coolant nothing serious maybe once a month i need to add coolant.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Addict

I got the exhaust all put together today. I was a little miffed at how Dynatech redesigned their header package. I'm going from the Dynatech w/hump to the Dynatech without hump package.

They flipped the driver side converter, so instead of the O2 sensor being on the transmission side (and making it easy to connect up), it is now on the frame rail side. This makes for a harder installation and now the wire has to cross over the converter to be plugged in. Sheesh. I made an extension, so that the wire would not be 1/2 from the top of the converter, and now need to find a way to keep it away from the converter.

Guess I'll get the intake cleaned up and put on tomorrow night.

Originally Posted by twolow02fransen
thats the same millage when my buddys 4.8 died except his leak was external. my DD has 165K and its just started sucking coolant nothing serious maybe once a month i need to add coolant.
It will continue to get worse - plan your solution now.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 AM
TECH Addict

So I made a bracket for the O2 extension that I made. That should keep the wire from getting melted. And I have some pics of the new JET-HOT coated headers.
Driver side
Pass side
Underneath <-- you can actually see the bracket in this picture and how far away from the exhaust it really is.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:32 AM
Staging Lane

So what happens after it begins to drink coolant? My 2001 DD silverado has 160k and drinks coolant. Have to add once maybe 2 weeks. I already have a set of extra heads waiting to get milled, ported and installed.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:40 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear bout the 5.3, she did last a long time though.

Im just curious as to why you didnt see coolant mix on the dipstick when checking oil levels. And i would like to know what the problem is.

Good luck with your new build! You will def. enjoy the new heart!

Are you going to cam it?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:58 AM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

most of the problem is because of the dex cool it eats everything
Old 04-27-2012, 07:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Snake, might as well throw a cam in it! Maybe a low lift if your gonna kinda keep it stock? Anyways good luck!
@2low, yea dexcool is totally **** had it in my truck when I get it, but it was turning to a mud like crap shortly after I got it. It came out an green went in!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by E$O3200
So what happens after it begins to drink coolant? My 2001 DD silverado has 160k and drinks coolant. Have to add once maybe 2 weeks. I already have a set of extra heads waiting to get milled, ported and installed.
Get it done ASAP. If you wait too long you will have too much coolant in the oil and it will gunk up on you. You'll have a bigger problem on your hands then, as everything will need to be cleaned (i.e. tank the block).

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Im just curious as to why you didnt see coolant mix on the dipstick when checking oil levels. And i would like to know what the problem is.
Never showed on the dipstick. Everything was still black. Only milkshake color was in the Driver side head.

Root cause - unknown. didn't bother to tear the 5.3, but my guess is head gasket or cracked head.

Not going to cam it. This is my commuter vehicle and I'm perfectly happy with the 40-50 extra hp the 6.0 is already bringing to the table.

Quick Reply: Whats that? Another 6.0 swap thread?!