Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are my options for what I want in a motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are my options for what I want in a motor?

OK, I have had my truck (2002 GMC Sierra Z71 5.3L) for 6 years and haven't done anything to the engine or drivetrain. Ive got the itch to add power, and I know there are a million options for me. I was hoping I could get some opinions on what I could do based on some of my criteria:

-Anywhere between 350-400 hp and tq (yes, I know thats a broad range but its not gonna be a race truck)
-I LOVE the sound of a motor that lopes
-I prefer bottom-end torque over top end
-I would like a motor that could be adapted to a manual transmission later on, because I wish my truck was a manual. But this is a small priority I guess, b/c I don't know a whole lot about the transmission aspect, even though Id love to have a 4speed or something like that (And yes, I know my 4L60E won't last long at all)

So I guess I just need help deciding if I should try to find a new crate motor, a used motor, or just heads & cam my current 5.3.

I know y'all get this kind of crap all the time, but having so many options and then more that I don't even know about just overwhelms me. I don't want to mess this up, but Id like to hear other peoples opinions about the pros and cons of each. Thanks a lot guys....dont flame me too bad!

Last edited by WhiteJimmy; 09-25-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:29 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Easiests thing would be to add a decent size cam, torque converter, and spray a 100 shot.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Haha, I guess I should add that I prefer it to be all motor....so no nitrous or FI
Old 09-25-2012, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Here is a pic, just for kicks. Hope it works..
Attached Thumbnails What are my options for what I want in a motor?-securedownload.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottle only gives you power until its empty, go bigger cubes and have the power you want all the time. 350 to 400hp at wheels on a 5.3 won't be very street friendly.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Thats ok! Im not saying that I HAVE to keep the 5.3. I just don't know where else I can go that will give me what I'd like...

-6.0?
sbc 350?
sbc 400?
or like ZZ4 crate?

Ive only really looked at stuff for the 5.3, so I'm just "ignorant" about other options right now.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Heads, cam on LQ4 with a good Converter and gear setup will bet the ticket.

Why no FI? Thats the best way to get all the low end you want.
A used Radix on your stock setup as it is will be perfect for what your wanting.

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Any year of the LQ4 will work? I found a used ly6 on craigslist...whats the difference between the 2??

And I just didn't think that FI would allow the motor to lope very much...even with a good cam. I don't know....I swear, trying to figure out motors makes me feel like such an idiot!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any of the old Chevy small blocks are a big step in the wrong direction....I've known a couple guys that put old engines in and both ended up going back with a LS series engine. The LS serious is wayyyy more efficient than the old sbc, good power and mpg.

Obviously the first choice and preferred of this forum is the 6.0, dump the stock 317 heads for some 799 or 243 and its quite a big jump in power even with the stock cam (compared to a 5.3)

Many guys like the choppy idle, but a choppy idle does not necessarily mean it will have good power! Vehicle weight plays a huge part of the equation, a cam that would be great in a light weight car probably will be a turd in a heavy truck. Also what RPM range does your truck usually run in your everyday driving? 1500-2500 or 500-6000 rpms? It makes more sence to pick a cam that will benefit your usual daily driving habits....unless you have a dedicated track vehicle.

When it comes to increasing power, 10 guys will have 10 different opinions.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Ok, so most of my driving is around town, so good bit of starts and stops. And the truck is a regular cab Z71, so i feel like my weight is on the lighter side compared to most trucks on here. I don't usually drive all that fast, but I just love the torquey feeling and that low-end power that can "throw you back in your seat"...(sounds super cheesy, but oh well.)

Im perfectly happy with going 6.0. But can someone explain the difference between a Lq4/9 and an LY6? And I recall that some years of the Lq4/9 are better than others.

Quick Reply: What are my options for what I want in a motor?