Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What is 'loud' to you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Louder than 79db at idle and 89db at WOT is excessive and unnecessary.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
uhhh yea it will be loud lol. it sounds sweet though if you can handle the noise.
Even with that, it won't be close to as loud as my WS6, and I handle that plenty well. I can't speak for my neighbors however.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wanted a Corsa Sport cat back for ever. When i scored the deal finding a Touring on ebay brand new in plastic in the boxes, lowballed the guy and got it at $535 shipped, I figured a little quieter is gonna be ok. It was a bit quiet for me at first but once I added the LTs and Y, it came to life. Now at idle you can barely tell its not stock with just a soft deep burble. Theres a nice rumble on the gas when driving but no drone at all. Drone was a worry for me, my last car was a Nissan Sentra SER SpecV that I went thru several 'not cheap' exhausts and always had headache inducing drone. some vehicles are just worse for it than others. I was ready for this since that experience and leaned ahead of time that the Avalanche chassis will carry resonances bad. And when I do want to get on her and wind it up....check the Charlotte hyperlink in my signature from and crank it up

Last edited by mikeyjm1; 12-07-2015 at 04:02 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm not as wild about the corsa sound as everyone else...but it seems the be the only one guaranteed to not drone. in cabin sound with corsa is super quiet while still throaty outside. longtubes/ory and a corsa sport is raspy as hell from experience. it sounds decent with stock manifolds and converters.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I like mine quiet.

I always chuckle when I hear these ridiculously loud cars at the track that are slow as ****.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

I would have to agree with TXsilverado, open headers... Loud! Flow super 10's.......ehhhh with a tailpipe, LT's no cat single 3" on my 6.0 not bad, but had terrible part-throttle crackle. Cut off tail pipe and leave open dump..... Too much drone in the cab, it was like sitting on top of a car crusher. Added a turn down, like the off the shelf type, maybe 8"s long overall length, pointed out towards the bed, sounds much better, you can think and talk to your passenger without having to wear noise canceling headphones. Still very loud inside and out, but little to no drone, it is tolerable for me as a DD, my wife doesn't mind either, but I am looking to change the setup, as stated by other people, the loud factor gets old after a while, and I am in search of making my truck sound more like the new vettes/camaros. Besides I don't like being heard blocks away.
Old 12-07-2015, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

true dual spin tech mufflers with long tube headers, is my combo wont ever go back to flowmaster now.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If only there was some way to reproduce the sound of a high compression LS1 spinning 8000rpm thru open exhaust, at a lower RPM and sound level. It's a sound on par with most Lamborghinis.

It did get the attention of the guy running next to me. I don't know if he was mesmerized by the sound or the fact that I hadn't shifted for the whole quarter mile.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by The_W
true dual spin tech mufflers with long tube headers, is my combo wont ever go back to flowmaster now.
What Flowmaster did you have? Can you elaborate as to why you like the Spin Tech mufflers better?
Old 12-09-2015, 09:52 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
If only there was some way to reproduce the sound of a high compression LS1 spinning 8000rpm thru open exhaust, at a lower RPM and sound level. It's a sound on par with most Lamborghinis.

It did get the attention of the guy running next to me. I don't know if he was mesmerized by the sound or the fact that I hadn't shifted for the whole quarter mile.
what size is your small cam that spins 8k rpm?

Quick Reply: What is 'loud' to you?