Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What drop do you have and how do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 07:24 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a 4/6 DJM drop and LOVE it. I've driven slammed trucks for over 10 years, so maybe I'm biased.

The only complaints that I have a bump steer (I really wanna get rid of it) and ground clearance.

I've heard good things about McGaughy's spindles--if I had it to do over again, I would definitely use their products. Check 'em out here.

Speaking of clearance....

Old 09-08-2004, 07:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a DJM 4/6 with upper and lower control arms. In the rear I have the flip kit, 2" shackles and helper bags. I also swapped out the drop shocks in the front for some Monroe Sensa-Trac's (they ride F'in Great). I think my truck rides and drives Great!
Old 09-08-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by blk03
Tib

did you get the leafs dearched somewhere? if so, what kinda fee would you be looking at....I already have the shackles installed and this would be a pretty good option for me.

thanks
I took my truck to a place where they specialize in suspension work in Mexico. The leaf springs were taken out and dearched 2" in a hydroulic press. The whole process took about 45 min and they charged me $30.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

2/4 Hotchkis
with the ext cab - really is like 2.5 in the front
I added the IAS shocks out back - which helped a ton
I would do it again
Check the car domain below for pics
Old 09-08-2004, 09:46 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good info....anyone using Bell Tech?? Ride? Quality?
Old 09-08-2004, 09:52 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

I went with the DJM kit for it's simplicity. I've heard that the Belltech kit requires flipping balljoints and was generally a PITA to install. For the drop that I wanted, the DJM was the best choice at the time.

But like I said, I would more than likely go w/ McGaughy's if their kit was available back then.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:58 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scream
But like I said, I would more than likely go w/ McGaughy's if their kit was available back then.

Just got off of the phone with them.....that may be the option I go with. Spindle / hanger / shackle.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Stay away from the belltech spindles. I had them on my truck before the hotchkis and they were awful.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:24 AM
KJ
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Good info....anyone using Bell Tech?? Ride? Quality?
We sell Belltech, and I have used it on just about everything I have driven in the past 10 years. Ride quality is great in my opinion, and is getting better every day. In fact they have just released a new spindle that will drop all two wheel drive trucks, AND TAHOE'S two inches! If it were me working with a RC or an EC, I would use a two inch spindle in the front, and a shackle & hanger kit for the rear (along with 4 Nitroactive shocks). On the extended cabs you may need to C- notch the frame if you haul or pull any trailers.

The new spindle from belltech allows you to use stock ball joint location. They bolt up just like the 88-98 chevy trucks. We have them on sale for $199.95 if anyone is looking for a set!!
Old 09-08-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

I have McGaughy's spindles and shackles on my truck and the ride is almost like stock. 01thunder will be installing the hangers for me this weekend to complete the drop. As of right now I haven't gotten the truck aligned and I think my wheels need to be rebalanced so the ride gets a little bumpy at times. I think after I do that, my truck will ride just like stock. I didn't need drop shocks and so far I haven't needed a carrier bearing kit.

Quick Reply: What drop do you have and how do you like it?