Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

What causes a lifter to tick?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes a lifter to tick?

just curious, im not super good with engines and was wondering what makes them start to tick? and also how they tick? what I mean be that is, what is actually making the ticking noise. thanks.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:16 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The lifter coming up off the cam lobe and coming back down on it instead of staying in contact with the cam all the time like it should. Inadequate oil flow to lifter keeping it from getting pumped up all the way to the spring in the lifter being bad, to a weak valve spring. I tcan be alot things that cause it but mostly it is caused by a blocked oil passage to the lifter and the something in the lifter being screwed up. I had that problem on my old engine so I replaced the lifters with comp performance lifters and then a week later I blew a piston ring. Oh well just another reason to build the 500hp 6L that I wanted from the beginning and now Ill be able spray a 200 shot and not have to worry about it.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

If your are talking about ticking noise when you start your engine in the morning and it goes away in a couple of minutes. I found this is caused by the lifters pumping down (leak), since the lifters are the last component to receive pressurized oil, I mean oil pressure goes through the oil filter, crankshaft and rods, then makes its way to the lifters and up to the rocker arms. I did a valve spring replacement a couple of weeks ago and when I start my truck I had major slapping or very loud ticking. I removed the valve covers and retorqued all the rocker-arm bolts, everything was fine, so I started my truck up with the valve covers off and looked for a rocker-arm walking all over the place, nothing. However, I notice right off hand no oil was coming through the rocker-arms, after waiting a couple of minutes the oil started to flow and the ticking stop completely. I have no ticking noise in the morning since the valve spring replacement, so I think what causes the ticking noise in the first place is the valve springs, they lose their tension which causes the lifters to leak oil, the correct preload is needed to prevent this from happening.
Old 09-18-2005, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cut Oil Pump Pickup Tube O-Ring TSB.

There was a TSB for oil pump pickup tube o-rings being cut at installation causing oil ariation for the first few minutes of operation.
I do not know the TSB number or year model span but my 97 5.7 had to have this done.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

It only does it at idle tho...mabye its just cause I cant hear it but if i'm stopped at a stoplight it might do it, but not all the time. I was thinking of using a little thicker oil??? I'll prolly end up swapping them out this winter while I'm in there...