Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

WCCH stg2 243 heads

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:46 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Luke03
They will be shipped tomorrow or Tuesday. Thanks for all the kind comments guys. Hoping for some nice top end increase!

Ill be putting LS7 lifters in place of the stock ones. The stock lifter trays will work the LS7 lifters right?
Yea man, you'll be good to go with the stockers, but from what I've read it's silly not to put new lifter trays in there since they can wear and the new ones are only like $7 a piece...
Old 01-02-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Yea man, you'll be good to go with the stockers, but from what I've read it's silly not to put new lifter trays in there since they can wear and the new ones are only like $7 a piece...
Might as well get new ones then if they are that cheap. Thanks for the help
Old 01-02-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Might as well get new ones then if they are that cheap. Thanks for the help
That is one this that is super cheap for our motors!! lol

Also, some people drill small holes at the bottom of the trays for the oil to leakdown faster. Second, the seats of the ls7 lifters are slightly taller and some people have to change pushrod lengths.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by f4tal
That is one this that is super cheap for our motors!! lol

Also, some people drill small holes at the bottom of the trays for the oil to leakdown faster. Second, the seats of the ls7 lifters are slightly taller and some people have to change pushrod lengths.

Hope that helps!
Yeah with the heads being milled and having different lifters I'm borrowing a pushrod length checker to make sure I get the right size. That's a good idea about the small hole in the lifter trays... might have to do that.

What should I use to clean the carbon build up on the pistons? I was told to apply a little bit of oil on the the piston and cylinder walls and rotate the engine every couple of days to keep it from rusting. Don't need anything screwing up lol
Old 01-03-2011, 10:07 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

i used a wire brush on a drill to clean my pistons. yours are pretty clean tough. sea foam and a scotch brite pad.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great luke good luck on your new set up
Old 01-09-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heads were shipped last Thursday

Was also told by Dave at WCCH that the drivers side head is a little reddish because its a sign of the engine running to hot. He said that it only takes one time to do it, but i did have overheating issues a while back so it explains it. He also said that there is a TSB out on some 706 heads being faulty and causing some 5.3's to overheat easily. You learn something new everyday.

Can't wait to get the 243's back richard
Old 01-09-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed something cool. You can actually do a head swap on these trucks without removing the accessory bracket? I'm going to be doing the same thing as you in a couple of months. Tell me, how long did it take you to tear it down to the shortblock?
Old 01-09-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
I noticed something cool. You can actually do a head swap on these trucks without removing the accessory bracket? I'm going to be doing the same thing as you in a couple of months. Tell me, how long did it take you to tear it down to the shortblock?
not near as long as it takes to put it back together lol

about an 1 hr
Old 01-10-2011, 05:28 AM
formerly ByuTrukFreak

Heads were shipped last Thursday

Was also told by Dave at WCCH that the drivers side head is a little reddish because its a sign of the engine running to hot. He said that it only takes one time to do it, but i did have overheating issues a while back so it explains it. He also said that there is a TSB out on some 706 heads being faulty and causing some 5.3's to overheat easily. You learn something new everyday.

Can't wait to get the 243's back richard
How can I find out more about the 706 heads being faulty, I have a set of those and at idle it wants to get hot, I'm putting a new radiator and bigger fans to cure it. But if it's the heads then It won't get fixed that way.

Quick Reply: WCCH stg2 243 heads