Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Vortech S/C?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Vortech S/C?

I have a 2001 silverado with some mods and a vortech s/c and was wondering why i wasn't getting the "right" results from my truck and what would give me more hp?
Old 04-22-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chutto
I have a 2001 silverado with some mods and a vortech s/c and was wondering why i wasn't getting the "right" results from my truck and what would give me more hp?
Give us some more info. Ive had ALOT of experience trying to get this vortech to make decent power.
For starters Is it intercooled? Are you running the FMU or larger injectors? As Ive told others. The non intercooled kit as it comes doesnt make much power at all. It will get you started though.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

it isn't intercooled. it has 42# injectors, k&n, gibson hedders w/ flowmaster mufflers, a diablo programmer. it runs a 9.72 in the 1/8 mile. how do i make it intercooled? they(vortech) said there isn't a kit. i want to know what i have to do to be able to bet a lightning and a couple of guys with 350's and 383 strokers.

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Give us some more info. Ive had ALOT of experience trying to get this vortech to make decent power.
For starters Is it intercooled? Are you running the FMU or larger injectors? As Ive told others. The non intercooled kit as it comes doesnt make much power at all. It will get you started though.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

it isn't intercooled. it has 42# injectors, k&n, gibson hedders w/ flowmaster mufflers, a diablo programmer. it runs a 9.72 in the 1/8 mile. how do i make it intercooled? they(vortech) said there isn't a kit. i want to know what i have to do to be able to bet a lightning and a couple of guys with 350's and 383 strokers.
You can get the aftercooler, pump, water resovoir, heat exchanger, etc from Vortech. They (aftercooler) come on the kits for the 6.0 engines. It is the same kit. They want like $2000 for just the aftercooler kit though. Im doing a FMIC and it will end up costing me about $600 not including the tools I had to buy (welder, sawzall) and I think it will be a much better system with more room for growth
You could do an alky kit though.
My first attempt with my kit and pretty much stock motor (I had 42# as well) only netted me 279rwhp. From there I made some changes and got better conditions and made like 310. Thats less than some of the cam guys in here. Ive since added Thorley headers, cam, springs, meth injection, 918 springs, and a smaller pulley.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Here are some pics of the Vortech Air-to-Water intercooler.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you cant beat them - join them

Except for the Ford...blech..
Old 04-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

I ran the water/alk in my truck for a couple of years good for up to 8psi of boost or so but I switch to an air-to-air intercooler off a 7.3L ford turbo diesel which works great! Also if you don't have a "Super FMU" from Vortech I would upgrade as it is much more adjustable.

I would also recommend you check your exhaust backpressure...when I was running 8psi of boost I knocked off .75 off my quarter mile runs just by going to a bigger exhaust system... and I already a bigger cat back 3" magnaflow setup...if your exhaust note sound disapears and turns into a rushing jet engine sound this is an indication you have to much exhaust backpressure! I currently run Thorley headers running to dual 3" Magnaflow cats to duel 3" pipes to a 4" single collector to a 4" diesel Magnaflow muffler to a 4" diesel mandrel bent single tail pipe back pressure dropped from 6psi to under 2psi and got me into the low 14's with a tired/130K 350 engine.

I have a full writeup on this on the FSC Forum but you need to be a member there to view it: FSC Link

Ken