Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Vinci Ultra Torque vs Comp Xtreme Hi-Lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
Even with -4* of overlap, How will that 110+0 idle?
A lot like a 220/220 on a 112. Which also has -4* overlap. Overlap is what determines lope.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe we are talking about two different "types of overlap. I'm talking intake opening to exhaust closing, if you look at the graph, you can see the 48 that Vinci lists on their website and teh 38 Comp told me today seems to make sense. Maybe you are talking about overlap on each side of TDC? I've seen this negative overlap mentioned before, but honestly never took the time to understand what it was? I also updated the picture to show the 5* of advanve vinci puts in their cam, but I could install the comp with that as well, right?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by agreif
Maybe we are talking about two different "types of overlap. I'm talking intake opening to exhaust closing, if you look at the graph, you can see the 48 that Vinci lists on their website and teh 38 Comp told me today seems to make sense. Maybe you are talking about overlap on each side of TDC? I've seen this negative overlap mentioned before, but honestly never took the time to understand what it was? I also updated the picture to show the 5* of advanve vinci puts in their cam, but I could install the comp with that as well, right?
I think the overlap you are talking about may be @ .006 instead of @.50. I didnt look at the website I just did the math really quick on overlap. With your .50 specs overlap is calculated one of 2 ways.

(intake duration+exhaust duration)/2-(LSAx2)=overlap @.50 but the calculation would be the same for .50 specs or .006 specs

another calculation is

(intake duration+exhaust duration)/4-LSA=overlap
Old 03-07-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

they are basically the same calculation with a little twist to them
Old 03-07-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

5* advance is a lot, at least in my opinion. Most of comp's off the shelf grinds have 4* advance in them which I think is a lot depending on the size of the cam. If your stuck on a off the shelf cam then go with the tr220 on a 114 lsa. I think that cam might even pass smog untuned
Old 03-07-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're putting this much effort and thought into a cam I don't understand why you wouldn't want a custom grind.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TBSS
If you're putting this much effort and thought into a cam I don't understand why you wouldn't want a custom grind.
exactly, if you take the time to do the research and are going for a specific setup then do it right and get EXACTLY what you want, not just some off the shelf grind that has been proven to make power. Maybe it wont make as good of power in your vehicle because your bolt on parts that will compliment it will be different than others. Every truck is different and every setup reacts differently. One thing I did learn for sure when I started looking into a cam is be patient and really do the research on that cam will do with YOUR mods and how a different grind will help compliment those mods already and make the most power with YOUR setup
Old 03-07-2007, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the 222/224 566 568 -112 (XR275HR) on the stock stall, and it's fine in stop and go traffic. It all depends on who tunes it.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TBSS
Ok, bringing this one back from the grave since I've done my research.

Hey, I hear ya. I've done plenty of reading and understand how the factors affect the operating range of the cam. i.e. to keep low end/ mid range torque you want to close your intake sooner rather than later and keep your overlap from getting out of hand. I understand how changing those parameters changes things, but am not sure how incremental changes will have an impact. What if I advance everything 4 degrees and widen my LSA 2 degrees. Thinks like that I woudln't know the impact. I know what I want my next house to look like, but I can't say that I'd know how to engineer/design it. I dunno, I'd love to do it just not sure I would be helping or hurting myself.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Veteran

the 6.0's must be different because I wouldnt even look at a cam over 216 in size if you werent getting a stall. I had a 210/218 and mine lagged downlow TUNED untill I got a stall. I wouldnt even think of the 220/220 I have no on a stock stall

These cams dont start making power untill 2800-3000 rpms, and I dont see a stock stall working with that combo off the line

if you are keeping a stock stall, then go with the 212/218 but its gonna need tuning also

I could say get a 224/224 like everyone else, but I dont see that working with what you want

Quick Reply: Vinci Ultra Torque vs Comp Xtreme Hi-Lift