Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

twin srew or radix....

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 04:39 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If we were talking about above 15 psi....then yes I would have to agree with you. But we are talking about street performance and not racing every weekend. There is a reason the OEM (not special projects i.e. FORD GT500 yada yada) uses EATON..... Durability and performance all wrapped up in one neat package.

When someone can show me maps that exceed the Magnuson MP112 @ 7 psi for efficiency I will eat my shorts.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said Naked AV. I forgot to mention that Whipples have the by-pass to. But you beat to it.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:45 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Naked AV
I feel like I am reading an academic journal. :yawn: Since we're all pontificating here, I guess I'll add my $.02.

If Whipple made a 2.2L kit with 42# injectors, intercooler, etc., that mounted on top like the Radix, (a la Starr Performance), it would be superior to the Radix, simply because of increased efficiency and/in compression. The Whipple has a bypass valve as well - but even if it didn't, any 'increased heat' would be so miniscule as to be irrelevant.

Liter per liter, the Lysolm twin screw is simply a superior technology to the modified roots Radix. I really don't know why, but some people seem to have a huge problem acknowledging this.

The Radix, on the other hand, has the benefits of: (1) Intercooled, (2) Complete kit (3) Price, (4) Ease of installation, etc. It also has a great company standing behind it with a fantastic warranty and excellent customer support. There are no denying the benefits of the Radix - there are so many benefits, in fact, that they cannot be overlooked. After all, it is what I have on top of my motor. But engineering-wise, design-wise, and efficiency-wise, the Radix loses to the Lysolm.

Unless and until there is a manifold-mounted Whipple kit for under $10K (which is what the Starr Performance unit costs), the Radix will continue to win customers hand over fist above any Whipple or Kenne Bell unit. This circumstance, however, does not negate the fact that the Lysolm is superior technology, even if we don't get to benefit from it at this time.

You always havea way of posting very well written pieces that are hard to argue with. And I do agree with you 100%, the lysolm twin screw by itself is far better than the moddified roots. Still you currently cannot beat the package deal of the radix.

Maybe this is the engineer in me, but what if you made/had machined an adapter plate for the whipple blower to fit on the intercooler manifold that came with the radix... It would probably be very expensive, and complex, but it would be unique
Old 04-05-2005, 04:50 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The bypass that you all talk about on the Whipple and Kenne Bell are ineffective since they compress in the rotor housing. There is no way to unload that charge in the housing VIA a bypass. The Bypass on the Radix is a “unloader” valve in the true meaning of the words. It equalizes the pressure above and below the rotors therefore creating no heat from compressing air. I don’t care how fast or slow you spin the twin screw, it still compresses in the housing....ever time you accelerate, where do you think that hot charge is going?

This is an age old arguement that will have many views and opinions, some true some not so true. I will provide you with the honest, tested been there done that experience I can.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:54 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off subject... TieRod whats the progress on that beauty of a Big Block?
Old 04-05-2005, 04:55 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
The bypass that you all talk about on the Whipple and Kenne Bell are ineffective since they compress in the rotor housing. There is no way to unload that charge in the housing VIA a bypass. The Bypass on the Radix is a “unloader” valve in the true meaning of the words. It equalizes the pressure above and below the rotors therefore creating no heat from compressing air. I don’t care how fast or slow you spin the twin screw, it still compresses in the housing....ever time you accelerate, where do you think that hot charge is going?

This is an age old arguement that will have many views and opinions, some true some not so true. I will provide you with the honest, tested been there done that experience I can.
as well as every off boost condition
Old 04-05-2005, 08:16 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by TieRod
Hey Grippy it kinda hard to compress air when their's no air to compress because the throttle is closed. If would like an example go fire up you shop vac. Put your hand over the end, see how the motor speeds up from the reduced load. Also with a bigger compressor it does make less heat but at the sacrifice of low RPM boost. If you would like proof I have vid of a friends car it has a 302 with a 177 blower it makes 3psi off idle and max's at 12psi 5500rpm.
Tie Rod, no disrespect, the twin screw will compress air off boost, thats in its design, no way around it, no matter how many shop-vacs I care to plug up, if its turning, its compressing.

Compression Phase - Once each trailing lobe seals its cell, the air charge is swept around the casing until the leading lobe uncovers the discharge port. At the same time, the male and female lobes will intermesh in such a way so that the volume formed between them, and the apex where the twin cylindrical walls meet, is progressively reduced in an axial direction from the inlet port end to the opposite discharge port end.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about centrifugal style
Old 04-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vtodd82
what about centrifugal style
For off idle boost or low end you DEFINATELY DON'T want a centrifugal.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:37 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by PSM
You always havea way of posting very well written pieces that are hard to argue with. And I do agree with you 100%, the lysolm twin screw by itself is far better than the moddified roots. Still you currently cannot beat the package deal of the radix.

Maybe this is the engineer in me, but what if you made/had machined an adapter plate for the whipple blower to fit on the intercooler manifold that came with the radix... It would probably be very expensive, and complex, but it would be unique
First let me point out I am contributing by way of discussion, I have no interest in souring anyones milk
Furthermore, I have many points and counterpoints on this very subject as it is one of my favorite
that said, PSM, I honestly think most people will sway you in the direction of the Radix mostly due to its intercooling and completeness of kit, above and beyond that the Radix(modified roots) affords you other equally impressive strong points and features. True, I can, and do get wordy, however, as an engineer, I would think this appealing to you as well.
Until KB or whipple decide to intercool their superharger kits this is really a moot point, unless you are willing to assemble your own twin screw IC'd kit or if you believe a non IC'd twin screw is sufficient.
Now, if we want to further discuss the merits of each supercharger case/rotor-set I am all ears and clearly game.
I venture to guess this is not the case however.

In any event, I wish you the best of luck in your choice and look forward to reading your post that reads something along the lines of:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Quick Reply: twin srew or radix....