Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

twin srew or radix....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd go with the whipple, but only the 3.3L compressor. Those things(modified roots, twin screw) make heat and there is no way around it. With a larger compressor turning slower it generates less heat.

But for the package, there is no other choice IMO. - RADIX
Old 04-04-2005, 08:39 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Fandango
I'd go with the whipple, but only the 3.3L compressor. Those things(modified roots, twin screw) make heat and there is no way around it. With a larger compressor turning slower it generates less heat.

But for the package, there is no other choice IMO. - RADIX
they all make heat, no way around that.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moregrip
they all make heat, no way around that.
Couldn't agree with you more. But having a larger displacement one turning slower will produce less heat.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:45 PM
what a rush!

Couldn't agree with you more. But having a larger displacement one turning slower will produce less heat.
I honestly can't comment on that, not sure if the larger rotor'd/lower rpm screw produces less heat than a smaller rotor'd/faster spinning screw,
do you have any data on this?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moregrip
I honestly can't comment on that, not sure if the larger rotor'd/lower rpm screw produces less heat than a smaller rotor'd/faster spinning screw,
do you have any data on this?
The only data I have is Marlan Davis. The Tech man in the back of HOT ROD and used to be in the back of CAR CRAFT. In a question published, I believe the guy was asking about sticking a 6-71 on a 454. Mr. Davis suggested a larger blower to produce less heat, as old GMC style lungs are usually installed without an intercooler.

But if you think about turbos. Small ones spool quickly, but when pushed to their envelope they start to become ineffieient and produce a lot of heat. When you go to a larger unit at the same flow-boost levels it will produce less heat.

Kinda like the situation Parish is in. His engine is kind of large for that turbo from what I understand. Getting out of it's efficiency range. I'd wager that with something like a 88 on there at the same boost, he'd go faster, due to less heat. His tires seem to be the limitation at this point.

Maybe Blown can chime in.

I guess you shipped the splash guards today if the paypal went through.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:46 PM
what a rush!

The only data I have is Marlan Davis. The Tech man in the back of HOT ROD and used to be in the back of CAR CRAFT. In a question published, I believe the guy was asking about sticking a 6-71 on a 454. Mr. Davis suggested a larger blower to produce less heat, as old GMC style lungs are usually installed without an intercooler.

But if you think about turbos. Small ones spool quickly, but when pushed to their envelope they start to become ineffieient and produce a lot of heat. When you go to a larger unit at the same flow-boost levels it will produce less heat.

Kinda like the situation Parish is in. His engine is kind of large for that turbo from what I understand. Getting out of it's efficiency range. I'd wager that with something like a 88 on there at the same boost, he'd go faster, due to less heat. His tires seem to be the limitation at this point.

Maybe Blown can chime in.

I guess you shipped the splash guards today if the paypal went through.
sent you a PM earlier with tracking info, let me know if you recieved it, thanks.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

For the 8.1l wipple offers an intercooler Part#: WIP-GM81SI
, why do they not have one for the other engines ? for my application wipple is the only one out there
Old 04-04-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STS???
Old 04-04-2005, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Fandango is right ... bigger blower, less pressure per square inch on the blower, same psi in the intake, less heat. But ... now does that make less heat than an improved roots with an intercooler? Probably not. My vote still goes to the RADIX.

If we're shopping for an 8.1, that's a different animal since there isn't a RADIX kit currently available for an 8.1.

THe off idle torque is tire blowing strong. You see the cideo of mine in the General section? It was good for a 1.598 60' on ~7 1/2 psi.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:20 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Flyer
Fandango is right ... bigger blower, less pressure per square inch on the blower, same psi in the intake, less heat. But ... now does that make less heat than an improved roots with an intercooler? Probably not. My vote still goes to the RADIX.

If we're shopping for an 8.1, that's a different animal since there isn't a RADIX kit currently available for an 8.1.

THe off idle torque is tire blowing strong. You see the cideo of mine in the General section? It was good for a 1.598 60' on ~7 1/2 psi.
didn't say he was wrong, just didn't know the answer. that said, your saying less pressure between the rotors = less heat?

Quick Reply: twin srew or radix....