Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Tuning issue forces cam change (w/Radix)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It gets a little frustrating having people on these boards always trying to second guess an advanced issue with really basic stuff. If I omit the basic it's because I don't want to waste the time building up to the real issue. I like to get to the point.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:05 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, it's greatly appreciated.
Screw Cory...heheheheheheheh

.....Now on to PE tuning again tomorrow AFR dropped to 11.5 from 12 area with cam change....on the plus side we gained 1/2 lb of boost..Don't think there will be any power difference in this cam over last becuase of this....

Jimbob
Old 09-19-2005, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jimbob
Screw Cory...heheheheheheheh

Jimbob All LT1 power
Go get to work on that intake... there's your
Old 09-19-2005, 02:23 AM
TECH Regular

Bummer you had to do all that work just to idle. My truck idles around 850 if I remember correctly. The only time my truck is prone to stalling is in parking lot situations when tank is on empty. Rick at synergy told me that you run into tuning problems if you run big cams with a low idle. Even our trucks stock idle too low.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:20 AM
11 Second Club

On another note....On one of these threads someone asked about vacuum at idle, NOT IN GEAR, no air, basically you get in and just start it without hitting anything....with 13 degrees of timing at idle with the 2.75 pulley Radix we were seeing 18 inches on the "Stock cam." After bumping the timing to 25 we were seeing 19 inches on the stock cam. The "LPE GTII-3" we see about 18 1/4 inches at idle with the same 25 degrees of timing (close as you can get with paralox-sp). With the "CheaTer" cam we saw about 15 inches at same idle speed and 25 degrees timing. Don't sound so bad until you put it in gear and it drops to 14 inches with same timing and idle speed. Then you turn wheel or depress brakes and bam...2 inches less to 12 inches area. God forbid you do any these at the same time, like a normal person and have the climate control on...I'v seen as low as 10 inches of vacuum at idle.

Cory you had better were a flack vest tomorrow morning while going to work.....This LT1 no-running stock engine is coming for ya! I will make you into an LT1 believer.....

Jimbob

Work that manifold slacker.. or do you prefer this....or this....poor dog
Attached Thumbnails Tuning issue forces cam change (w/Radix)-dsc00028-2-.jpg   Tuning issue forces cam change (w/Radix)-dsc00021-3-.jpg   Tuning issue forces cam change (w/Radix)-dsc00008-2-.jpg  

Last edited by jimbob; 09-19-2005 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CHarris
Fans run with climate control vehicles. Even when the truck is cold.

It gets a little frustrating having people on these boards always trying to second guess an advanced issue with really basic stuff. If I omit the basic it's because I don't want to waste the time building up to the real issue. I like to get to the point.

Mine don't, my e-fans only come 50% when I depress the ac button. and thats the only time they come for "in cab climate reasons" brrrrr!! and no I don't have a nelson harness. Sorry I don't need 7000cfm coming on all at once cause my defroster wants dry air.

For the record Pro's don't know everything there always someone with a different outlook on things, and different solutions. But since you change cams, no point in discussing that now.

I think might been the 60lbs injectors what kind, brand were they? high impedence?? Wondering what would happen with having a twin injector setup? (have one for low speed)

So how is the new cam , thats wide LSA 118.5 , what are the specs on the old one?? Any gain power?? or lost power??

Last edited by 8100hammer; 09-19-2005 at 04:21 AM.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:06 AM
11 Second Club

For the record Pro's don't know everything there always someone with a different outlook on things, and different solutions. But since you change cams, no point in discussing that now.
Don't take this wrong but we are two tuning pros, involved two other tuning pros (one who went to ED, another tuning pro), plus we went to TRUCK tuning pro, plus HP tuner board Q/A, plus I do Ls1 Edit plus another tuner pro does LS1 Edit and CATS...I mean seriously, how many months do you need a vehicle to cold run like ....I do agree that you can always learn new tricks and I hate to lose, especialy sense I have tuned many a cammed supercharged engines, this was frustration magnified...I wish it was something as easy as adjusting the RAF table, effective area table, Idle airflow tables, Idle L trims and S trims and just getting the desired idle airflow to match dynamic airflow...this of course after doing all the ve tuning, timing tuning, maf rescale, rpm adjustment, stall saver adjustment. We even tried to crutch it with the Idle follower table... Just didn't like the cold starts (idle and take off)...Stock cam no problem. I think the tuning Gods are angry with us, and we must make a sacrifice to them..here ya go...

60lb motron 3 bar run on a 4 bar pound equals 71 lbs. Injector run on a stock cam, stock cubed 6 liter either with radix at 1.7 millisec pulse width, cheater cam 2.1 millisec pulse width....They run fine as long as you keep them above 1.5 millisecs. They are a little slower reacting...

what are the specs on the old one?? Any gain power?? or lost power??
We have not got a chance to find out if there is more power. Sense this is all-wheel drive and nobody can say for sure this transfer case can be run safely with just pulling the front drive shaft, we can only run at the track. You know that really isn't to accurate day to day even with a weatherstation but we can get a really good idea...Hopefully this upcoming weekend...
The cam size is 215/232.5 off the cam card 117LSA .600/.578 lift base duration is 269/291 (I believe)...nothing radical and is supposed to give 18 inches of vacuum in a tuned LS1 manual car (According to Patrick Guerero-sp). The cam will either eventually be put in Cory's CTSV or Ryan's GTO...Then we will know after tuning what kind of driveability this cam has...I bet really good....

Jimbob

Last edited by jimbob; 09-19-2005 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimbob
Don't take this wrong but we are two tuning pros, involved two other tuning pros (one who went to ED, another tuning pro), plus we went to TRUCK tuning pro, plus HP tuner board Q/A, plus I do Ls1 Edit plus another tuner pro does LS1 Edit and CATS...I mean seriously, how many months do you need a vehicle to cold run like ....I do agree that you can always learn new tricks and I hate to lose, especialy sense I have tuned many a cammed supercharged engines, this was frustration magnified...I wish it was something as easy as adjusting the RAF table, effective area table, Idle airflow tables, Idle L trims and S trims and just getting the desired idle airflow to match dynamic airflow...this of course after doing all the ve tuning, timing tuning, maf rescale, rpm adjustment, stall saver adjustment. We even tried to crutch it with the Idle follower table... Just didn't like the cold starts (idle and take off)...Stock cam no problem. I think the tuning Gods are angry with us, and we must make a sacrifice to them..here ya go...

60lb motron 3 bar run on a 4 bar pound equals 71 lbs. Injector run on a stock cam, stock cubed 6 liter either with radix at 1.7 millisec pulse width, cheater cam 2.1 millisec pulse width....They run fine as long as you keep them above 1.5 millisecs. They are a little slower reacting...

We have not got a chance to find out if there is more power. Sense this is all-wheel drive and nobody can say for sure this transfer case can be run safely with just pulling the front drive shaft, we can only run at the track. You know that really isn't to accurate day to day even with a weatherstation but we can get a really good idea...Hopefully this upcoming weekend...
The cam size is 215/232.5 off the cam card 117LSA .600/.578 lift base duration is 269/291 (I believe)...nothing radical and is supposed to give 18 inches of vacuum in a tuned LS1 manual car (According to Patrick Guerero-sp). The cam will either eventually be put in Cory's CTSV or Ryan's GTO...Then we will know after tuning what kind of driveability this cam has...I bet really good....

Jimbob
What are the qualifications to being a Pro Tuner?
Old 09-19-2005, 06:22 AM
11 Second Club

A qualification card.......

Maybe my 10 years of tuning (Doug's Racing Stables, Speed Secrets), Ellis's 10 years (Kirkland x-mission, Speed Secrets). Cory's 5 years (Doug's Racing Stables), Ryan K's (moderator of fueling and injection) 8 years of his own turbo and stroker race cars, Ed Wrights (God knows how many), Truck Tuner Guy lots of years (you know one of the sponsers). Lets see..hmmmm. Fast tuner, LT1 Edit tuner, LS1 Edit tuner, Cat tuner, HP tuner, Gen 7 tuner very shortly.....need a qual card ?

Actually, there is no such thing to me a a pro tuner (one who makes money tuning someone elses vehicles). Advanced tuner , yes! Sense that term was used in a higher post I just went with it.....You can always learn new tricks....If you ever want to seriously know some scary tuning and how the programs algorythems work, follow Jimmy Blue at HP boards or at LS1tech...or you could just not worry about it sense it was a SARCASTIC question anyways... Here's your Qual card

I see you have very informative post so I had to get my jab while I could, bedsides it keeps this cam/radix issue to the top, maybe someone will give me a new direction to look for if this pops up again...It's all Love here.......

Jimbob

Last edited by jimbob; 09-19-2005 at 06:35 AM.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:40 AM
11 Second Club

02Reaper

Where in the hell did you get that avatar? I want one or something close...my little car picture is just sad....

Jimbob

Quick Reply: Tuning issue forces cam change (w/Radix)