Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

truck running horrible(rich?) after ASM header install

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

white smoke is usually lean conditions, install the y-pipe, or the rest of your exhaust and it should fix your problem
Old 04-30-2005, 02:01 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vtodd82
ok guys, i just checked my spark plugs.....they were all EXTREMELY black with that carbon ****. i put the plugs back in, and called on star to read my engine light code after that.

it was p0171. after a little reading, i found that it has something to do with the engine being lean. ??? i dont get that, i would have thought it was running rich, but iam no expert. what do you guys think??

thanks
If the O2 sensors are reading more oxygen, the PCM will richen the mixture to compensate, and that's why your plugs are black. (PCM thinks it's lean & richens it up)
Old 04-30-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It should have ran smooth (but loud) when you first started it up.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
It should have ran smooth (but loud) when you first started it up.
yes it was perfect when i first started it up and went on a couple miles drive.

then later that night i fired her up to go on a beer run, and the truck ran like ****.

i guess the computer was finally kicking in adding the extra fuel because the o2 sensors were telling the PCM that the mixture is lean.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I bet your neighbors love you.I ran the couple of Gen 3 header installs only a short distance.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gonzo 6.0
I bet your neighbors love you.I ran the couple of Gen 3 header installs only a short distance.
oh definatly. especially after i fired it up around 10:00 pm when i finished the install to test drive it.

i couldnt stop going WOT. it was so damn loud. lol it was funny, i got on the highway for a little bit, and i was in the left lane coming up on a car in the right lane. i went WOT about 5-6 truck lengths behind the car ( a bunch of kids) and the car hits their brakes and swerves to the right like they thought something was wrong with their car. it was hilarious. my truck was so loud and nasty, i think they thought their car blew up and i was a good distance behind them. lol
Old 04-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

it is going to run rich as hell till the rest of the exhaust is on. after it is on or while putting it on you will need to remove the 02 sensors and clean them. hell mi drove mine 5 miles with open headers and with open manifolds this last time. just clean the 02's while they are doing the exhaust. unplug the battery and let it reset and then go drive it. it will be good to go after that. truct me. i have been thru this several times
Old 04-30-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

well, i just fabbed up a little extension to put on the ASM collectors. i took it out for a run to autozone to get some new NGKs to put on after the exhaust is completley welded up and had the lean condition 1 and 2 codes cleared. the truck is drivable now. the light came back on , but it doesnt die on my, or make the horrible noises anymore. the extensions i put on there arent the greatest, and i didnt use any gaskets, and one of the pipes is very old and has a quarter sized hole in it, so the 02 sensors are for sure still picking up a little more oxygen and richening it up , thats why i figure i got the code again.

oh well, i can drive it now. ill be sure to clean the o2 sensors when its on the rack and then change the plugs because i know they are gonna be nice and black. iam not worried about it anymore. thanks for all the help guys, you really put me at ease and helped me get this working.

todd
Old 04-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Launching!

At least you narrowed down the problem, good luck on gettin that taken care of. Now go over ss.com and answer yourself again in that thread.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by fox_forma
At least you narrowed down the problem, good luck on gettin that taken care of. Now go over ss.com and answer yourself again in that thread.
iam on my way

Quick Reply: truck running horrible(rich?) after ASM header install