Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Trouble mounting rocker cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble mounting rocker cover

I'm putting the passenger side rocker cover back after installing some Comp Pro Mag 1.85 rockers. I can't seem to get the rocker cover to sit flush on the top of the head. There is a thin lip that runs around the bottom of the underside of the passenger side rocker cover. It seems like this lip should "CENTER" the rocker cover on top of the cylinder head, but I can't seem to get the cover to drop down into position such that this lip keeps the rocker cover correctly positioned from side to side. The "O" ring which goes all the way around the circumference doesn't help any either because it blocks the view of the lip as you put the rocker cover in place. You can't really be sure you have it centered. You just sort of have to guess at it. What am I doing wrong? I didn't seem to have this problem on the drivers side.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Are the rockers hitting the valve covers? I thought you needed spacers to use those rocker arms. I know my Harland Sharps are real close. Do they have tall polylocks?
Old 03-06-2005, 03:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had to cut the pcv baffles to fit the covers back on when I installed comp 1.85 rockers.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

That must be it because I noticed some small dimples and tiny scratches on the thin aluminum PCV baffle on the pass. side cover which is the side I'm having troulbe with. Nothing deep, but you can see that the marks line up directly with the rockers. I removed the covers because I was adjusting my preload because I got some valvetrain noise (clacking) when I first installed the Pro Mags. It wasn't bad, but it was more than I'm used to with my other truck which also has 1.85 Pro Mags. Funny thing is I didn't have trouble putting the cover back on the first time I did the valves. The polylocks aren't really that "tall". No more than needed to make room for the set screws. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem. I thought it was the lip on the underside of the cover that was giving me the problem with getting the rocker cover to sit FLUSH against the cylinder head, but now that you mention it the 99 Silverado does NOT have that thin aluminum PCV baffle that the 2004 has. I'm going to grind those rivets off and remove it. That should solve my problem. The way the cover is seated now I'm worried that if I start the motor I'm going to have oil everywhere. Homey don't play dat.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

I think the f-body guys do the same thing with cut the baffel. That should solve the problem.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the spacers,they are easy to install and clear my rockers at .616 lift.