Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

transgo question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transgo question

The dealership is rebuilding my trans again because the bans keep wearing out. More than likely the trans wouldn't have a warrenty. So if I installed a transgo in my new trans with 1-2, and 3-4 corvette servos would it wear the bans out like the programmer is? At the same time i would get aluminum acculmulator pistons and any other stuff that would help out in the longevity of the trans.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

See if you can find out what parts the dealership is replacing. Maybe you could get them to install a few goodies for you while they have it apart. The servos and acc piston would be piece of cake with the tranny already apart.

Sorry, but I don't know for sure if the shift kit would produce less wear than the programmer. I'm inclined to say a shift kit is better, but have no definitive knowledge either way.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Why do you keep burning the 2-4 band? Is the reverse input drum being replaced?

Get the TransGo installed properly. Keep the feed holes on the HO setting NOT the full race. DO NOT use the programmer to change shift firmness.

'Vette servo is only for the 1-2 shift, there is no 'Vette 3-4 servo. Fairbanks makes the billet OD and intermediate ones. I'd run at least the 'Vette one and the billet OD. If you run a billet intermediate servo also, DO NOT put any washers in that accumulator. It will be harsh and annoying.

Good idea on the aluminum accumulator pistons. You can use the GM ones w/the pins or the pinless from Sonnax. Also instead of putting one in the 3-4 accumulator, you can ram a check ball into the feed hole for that accumulator to firm up the 3-4 shift, as it sucks pretty bad stock. It won't shift really hard or anything but you'll be able to tell it shifted.

Get a big cooler too.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

What happens on that drum is the band wears a concave curve in it and it doesn't hold good. A new band on a worn drum will hold for a little while. It will burn up quickly though because its only gripping on the edges.

I concur with everything else Hit Man said though. I would recommend the vette intermediate servo and the billet OD servo though. I'm still a little weary of ramming check ***** in place though.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Remeber we were talking about what accumulators do...they just soften the shifts from being too hard. That's how those washers work in the 1-2 as they create more resistance on the spring for a firmer shift.

By putting that check ball in the case, it prevents fluid flow to the 3-4 accumulator so there is no shift softening. Hell even now my 3-4 is pretty soft with that billet OD piston. I've asked a few tranny peeps about blocking that 4th accumulator and they said they do it too.

Also, pulling the 3rd accumulator check ball out and plugging the hole. This does a few things...but most importantly prevents a possiable leak in the 3/4 circuit, (pressure leak and causes 3/4 clutch wear) also it limits the amount of accuumulation in the 3rd apply, and firms up the shift a bit.

When I get that stall I will be pulling the check ball from the input shaft also. It firms up the TCC lockup a bit. Not neck snapping or anything by anymeans.

The other check ball I am going to delete will be the one for when you shift from P to R OR D to R. It increases the flow to the low/reverse pack to eliminate delay and bangs.

**** look how long my tranny has been going w/o TqMgt and only the TransGo+billets. I wouldn't be doing this stuff it would lead to harsh shifts or problems...

Lastly, 3-4 pack problems (after addressing fluid flow problems and clearances) are due to bad line rise apparently.