Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Trans. guy blew my engine!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans. guy blew my engine!

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=469184

Ok guys, i took my truck to this place in san antonio called Coreys Transmissions. He sounded knowledgeable over the phone and in person, so i thought my truck was safe. I took it to him on a trailer with it making a tapping sound thinking it was the flexplate or lifters. I didnt even drive the truck because the noise scared the **** out of me. He said he wanted to try out the new shift kit in so he can tell his customers how well if shifts, I told him that if its still making that terrible sound then dont drive it, just put the trans. in and ill bring a trailer to load it on. No big deal. Well after 2 weeks there and SEVERAL phone calls later he calls and say my trucks ready, but i cant drive it home.

I asked why not and he says " I drove the truck and its leaking oil real bad from the passenger and driver side of the engine." WTF!!!! I got there and the ground is covered in oil under my truck! All i could see under the truck was a big crack in the side of the oil pan. He said he didnt get on it at all, BULLSHIT! Theres no way in hell that damage happened just idling or putting along. I specifically told him not to drive it and he did anyways. There is about 300 ft. from where you can see oil on the road until the time he turned around and headed back to the shop. He apparentley picked up the pieces of the block and tossed them because i went back and walked the street and found 2 small pieces.

Now looking at the block with a flashlight there is a softball sized hole in the passenger side and a bulging crack on the passenger side. I picked up the truck because i didnt know what to do at the time, so i called the cops and they told me i needed to deal with the federal business bureau if he didnt pay for the damage or repair it himself. Im going to call a lawyer tomorrow and see what happens, because at this point im totally lost on what to do.

Anyone know what i should do? Ill post pics tomorrow.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

gasoline and a match
Old 10-11-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you sign a repair order that said what the shop was going to do?

This is going to be a mess.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:48 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The question is, why did you take your truck to get a trans in it, when obviously it was knocking bad?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mrgoodwrench3

Yeah, I have 3 of them. I kinda figured it was going to be.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:51 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrgoodwrench3

+1, unless you got it in writing that his specific instructions were not to drive the truck, I don't think that you'll get very far. In his defense, he'll say that the engine was already injured and that he had to perform a road test to check the integrity of his work, especially after a job such as a trans rebuild. Not for nothing, if this thing was tapping and threw a rod right outside his shop, the engine was obviously hurt to begin with. Granted, it may have been buildable before, but there's no way to prove that now.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlt76028
The question is, why did you take your truck to get a trans in it, when obviously it was knocking bad?
X2 this is weird
Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Basically you're screwed, but it sounds like your engine was screwed before he even began working on the trans.

Personally I would just chalk it up to a lesson learned and not waste my time on this.

You should have taken your truck to a mechanic and had the engine problems diagnosed/repaired first.

Unless you can put up a good show and intimidate him with a lawyer, etc I really don't see him doing anything about it, unless of course he is a decent person and accepts some responsibility because he drove the vehicle after being asked not to.

In any event, best of luck to you for a speedy and favorable outcome.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am with DLT. Why would you take your truck to a shop to have a trans installed if it was having engine issues that you were concerned about?? Thats a screw up on you. However the dipshit at the shop should have listened to you about not driving the truck, due to there being a issue.. I would think you might be screwed on this one.. It is going to be a no win situation for you imo, unless you have it on paper that the shop guy WAS NOT TO DRIVE THE TRUCK.. Still ask your lawyer though... Good luck
Old 10-11-2010, 10:55 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How does he check to make sure he did his work right if he cant drive it?

Quick Reply: Trans. guy blew my engine!