Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Speed Tips? How Fast?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Screenshots:

05' VHO

03' SSS

Old 10-22-2007, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out this website. At least it will be something safe. http://www.sscc.us/home.htm

some things I would suggest would be stiffer/lower springs. Bigger sway bars. Some Z rated tires. Custom driveshaft. Beefed rearend. Front spoiler, Bed cover, remove windshield wipers. Maybe some hood pins. Don't want it coming loose. If all you want is top end I'd switch gears to something a little higher. 2.73 or 3.08 sounds good.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:15 PM

Love the Avitar 99silverado5.3...lol
Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

heres you a wreck at around 90+ mph..just think what 140 would be like..this was in a full cage, kirkey racing seat, 5 point harness and helmet..stock knocked my *** out..busted my shield and put a dent in my interior sheet metel from my helmt

ill take my truck to around 110 or so..and thats bought it..trucks are not made to be fast..thats why the set the max speed to 98..**** happens so damn fast you have no time to think..just think what a kid would look like splatterd on your grill at that speed

pardon my mom..guess it kinda scared the **** out of her
Old 10-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

I have a rcsb o5 silverado with a 5.3. exhaust, cold air, tune,. with 323's,. 2/4 drop on 22in kuhmo ecsta's. I ran 141 on gps and it was fine. no problems at all. I am sure its not the safest thing to do regarding the drive shaft problems and all but my truck felt jsut fine at those speeds to me. I am also new to this site but there seems to be some really intelligent people on here.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Exclamation 215km/h

we got a road from calgary to edmonton here in alberta thats fairly damn straight and i got my 04 rcsb 5.3 up to 215 k/h i gess thats about 129 miles per hour and other than the expected vibration from going mock chicken my truck handled great and its got the torsion bars cranked and 3inch block in the back.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, surprised I didn't see this thread earlier but here's my take on it.
I've taken my truck to 145 before on stock drive line with stock tires and I wouldn't recommend it solely based on the Drive shaft. It was turbocharged and was dropped 2 inches all around and felt really good and it pulled super strong, it was pulling harder then than anywhere else up to that speed. Around 115 started getting a weird vibration but it stopped at 125, again wasn't the smartest thing to and it was stupid to keep pushing past it but after that it was smooth. I realized much later what it was and the drive shaft was hitting the cross member. Took some pictures.

Bottom of crossmember, you can see the marks from the DS.

Here you can see both the marks on the DS and the crossmemeber.

These truck DS are built for Torque so that they won't twist themselves into a pretzel which is why they are so wide but they will pull themselves apart if spun fast enough, and in some cases will flex enough to start a wobble and hit stuff that it shouldn't be hitting. I'm lucky I didn't snap it, flip my truck and die.
Hind sight is precious isn't it??
Old 10-30-2007, 04:16 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Wow, surprised I didn't see this thread earlier but here's my take on it.
I've taken my truck to 145 before on stock drive line with stock tires and I wouldn't recommend it solely based on the Drive shaft. It was turbocharged and was dropped 2 inches all around and felt really good and it pulled super strong, it was pulling harder then than anywhere else up to that speed. Around 115 started getting a weird vibration but it stopped at 125, again wasn't the smartest thing to and it was stupid to keep pushing past it but after that it was smooth. I realized much later what it was and the drive shaft was hitting the cross member. Took some pictures.

Bottom of crossmember, you can see the marks from the DS.

Here you can see both the marks on the DS and the crossmemeber.

These truck DS are built for Torque so that they won't twist themselves into a pretzel which is why they are so wide but they will pull themselves apart if spun fast enough, and in some cases will flex enough to start a wobble and hit stuff that it shouldn't be hitting. I'm lucky I didn't snap it, flip my truck and die.
Hind sight is precious isn't it??
That's insane man That's a LOT of flex to make it hit something that far away.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ecmoney
I have a rcsb o5 silverado with a 5.3. exhaust, cold air, tune,. with 323's,. 2/4 drop on 22in kuhmo ecsta's. I ran 141 on gps and it was fine. no problems at all. I am sure its not the safest thing to do regarding the drive shaft problems and all but my truck felt jsut fine at those speeds to me. I am also new to this site but there seems to be some really intelligent people on here.
First of all welcome.

Yes alot of smart people on here, but just about everyones crazy.

Take a look, taking a 5300 pounds of metal to 150mph takes some *****. Yes we are smart but we are not wise. Theres a difference.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:55 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
That's insane man That's a LOT of flex to make it hit something that far away.
I should of mentioned and it might help to know that these pictures were taken when the truck was up on a lift. Not sure what the name of the lift is but it picked the truck up from the frame so the rear end and drive shaft was hanging down. In actuality there isn't...8 inches of clearance or else my turbo would of been nicked as well.

Hope this helps anyone else thinking about taking these trucks past their designed limit. It was fun though!

Quick Reply: Top Speed Tips? How Fast?