Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

For those with under drive Pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those with under drive Pulleys

when you put on your new pulleys did you have to get a larger belt or can you keep you stock on? just want to know ahead of time.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: For those with under drive Pulleys

You need 2 new shorter belts. There are 2 different accessory belts depending on which alternator pulley you got or if you are leaving the stock one. There is only one AC belt though. Look on aspracing.com for the belt numbers.
Old 06-12-2003, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am sure that this has been brought up before so you can direct me to a link if it has, but would you run into problems using a underdrive/lighter pulley? Wouldnt the crank on a V-8 need to help be balanced and dampered with the stock "heavier" pulley? Assuming the stock pulley is a harmonic balancer. Just wondering if anyone has run into problems using an aftermarket pulley for extended periods of time.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Teching In

well the asp pullys i have seen have harmonic balancers on them. see i only have the v6 but they still make pullys for my truck.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Judging by the surface of the metal of the factory pulley I'd say it's a cast unit, probably iron. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a harmonic balancer. I think that's an overly generous characterization. It's more like a PTO on a tractor. It just gives you a place to mount a belt to drive the paracitic devices like the power steering, fan, alternator, A/C, etc. Don't forget the flywheel and pressure plate which are quite heavy help to smooth out the power pulses somewhat while the autos have their torque converters full of fluid which do the same thing. The ASP pulley is a much better designed and finished unit. It looks like CNC billet aluminum. It's high quality.