Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Those with electric fans...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 08:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with electric fans...

I installed my fans last fall. Up until now, the fans would never be running when I wanted to shut the truck off. Now that its starting to get hot out, the fans are needed and are usually running. So, when I turn the truck off, the truck continues to run for 2-5 seconds, sometimes "dieseling". Is there any thing I can hook up different or install to keep the fans from running my truck.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:03 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

um are you sure it is the fans running the truck. where do you have the ignition source hooked to. what kind of fans and controller.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Yup...positive. I have it hooked in where you do. I have 2 Perma cool fans and Perma cool controller.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:07 AM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

man mine have never had a problem like that.i have had all my fans hooked there. i would try another spot. or to the battery. what controller are you using. is it the vsc. you could put in a diode to stop that but im not sure why that is happening.has it only happened once or twice and on this tank of gas.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

No, its any time the fans are running when I turn off the truck.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:46 AM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

ok i think the vsc and my dc controller have a feed back protection. if you are running a relay systm then it is feeding back through. you will need to upgrade the controller or put in a diode
Old 05-24-2004, 10:23 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd also double check your wiring. I haven't seen this problem before. What ingnition on wire do you have tapped for the fan controls? Do you have any other accessories wired into the same connection?

You should add a standard auto relay between the ingnition on signal wire you have tapped and the fans controller. This will isolate the ignition from the fans and should stop this problem.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:25 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

It could be where you tapped for power. Did you go through the electrical center? I tapped into a "mutliplex" (that's what my stereo installer buddy told me) when we first wired the fans, and whenever I would shut the truck off, it would stay running as long as the fan was spinning. Kinda like a loop of some sort.

We moved the power source to the remote jump start box (the red thing off of the driver's side head) and have had zero problems since.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:50 AM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

here is where i have mine. it is an 02 silvy. i think he has his there.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Scream, I had it wired to the jump start box. But the fans kept running till it cooled off. I moved it to a switched source to stop that. Now I have this problem. I have it hooked to the rear deforst relay post. Its under the fuse box cover. Its the only switched source I can find. Maybe I just need to upgrade my controller. Where can I get this diode?

Yes, that is where I have it hooked up.

Quick Reply: Those with electric fans...