Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Thinking of ordering an Inline Walbro instead

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thinking of ordering an Inline Walbro instead

I just got off the phone with the local distributor for the Walbro pumps.

He actually reccomended an Inline Walbro 255lph pump instead of the In-tank pump.

Reason being that we both were unsure about the early truck Fuel pump modules in the tanks... didn't know if there is a return line going back to the tank/pump from the manifold or not.

I was thinking maybe the 255lph in-line would be easier and less of a hassle to deal with.

Any suggestions on your guys' part reguarding this? should I just go ahead and buy the In-tank pump and hope it works alright, or is the in-line just good enough????
Old 01-11-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by chris99gmc
I just got off the phone with the local distributor for the Walbro pumps.

He actually reccomended an Inline Walbro 255lph pump instead of the In-tank pump.

Reason being that we both were unsure about the early truck Fuel pump modules in the tanks... didn't know if there is a return line going back to the tank/pump from the manifold or not.

I was thinking maybe the 255lph in-line would be easier and less of a hassle to deal with.

Any suggestions on your guys' part reguarding this? should I just go ahead and buy the In-tank pump and hope it works alright, or is the in-line just good enough????
A good inline pump will move plenty of fuel for what you need but any high volume fuel pump setup should have its own regulated return for consistent pressure management and pump life. If you don't do a return regulator then you could get fancy with a voltage regulated fuel pump controller, they are sweet.

I run an Aeromotive A1000 in-line and it moves a snot load of fuel, up to 600 pounds per hour.

Old 01-11-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah. I like those, but they are pretty damn expensive.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris99gmc
yeah. I like those, but they are pretty damn expensive.
250 for the pump. Round it out to 320 with a bypass regulator. Cheap insurance in boosted apps because you got lean from a sub-par fuel system. I would rather spend a few bucks up front than replace the motor but it really depends on how far you want to take it. I reckon if it is overbuilt but under used then you have less to worry about.

I tried a Mallory Comp 140 pump before this one because it was a little cheaper. That little voice in my head was telling me I should know better. It grenaded in about seven thousand miles. Granted it was not rated for diesel apps but the Aeromotive runs circles around the Mallory. Their techs are top notch and very knowledgeable. If you are on the fence about what to do, give them a call they may have some good ideas for you. www.aeromotiveinc.com is the link.