Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Tech help please, running like chit

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the HPTuners scanner works independently of the VCM editor I think I can run the scanner on your truck and see all the parameters of what's going on with the injectors, fuel trims (if your using them) map, maf, ect. all the good stuff. Not just looking for ETC's like autozone.

I won't be able to download or look at your tune, but maybe the scanner will show something out of the ordinary to give an idea of where to look for the problem. Heck if you don't get something figured out maybe just a fresh set of eyes and ears could help.
I don't think I have anything specific planned this weekend other than making some beer, but I might have to put that off a week anyway. Also I only work till noon on Friday if that would work for you.

I'll PM you my cell number in case you want to give me a ring later. I'm heading to bed now.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes yall can log the truck even though it is locked.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sounds similar to an issue my buddy had....ended up being a bad injector. His is a potent lq9 on stock injector's though. Maybe something to check into.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Well it definitely runs like crap. Unfortunately I don't think I was able to help any. I wasn't able to see anything that really stood out in the logs. I thought I was seeing an extremely high IDC problem at first, but after looking again I'm sure I had a bad setup in my scanner for that log. After fixing that the IDC looks fine.

It will idle decent and run ok for a short bit at low throttle, but then it starts acting up. Actually sounds like it is backfiring through the exhaust and has no power at WOT. My first thought was a fuel system problem, so I checked the fuel pressure and it's fine and the MAP and MAF readings look reasonable to me. Had him spray some MAF cleaner in for good measure, but it didn't help.

Last edited by truckmann; 08-05-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I can post the log up here or e-mail it to you if you don't want it on the board.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:10 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Off the top of my head, it sounds like it may be a bad exhaust leak causing fresh air to get to the O2 sensors, which will make them read lean and richen up the fueling. My first step would be to double-check all of the exhaust again, paying close attention to where the headers bolt up to the heads and also where the header collectors go into the ORY.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

I think it would have to be a really bad leak to cause that much problem and I didn't notice any apparent leaks. Fuel trims where doing some funny things though like occasional spiking up to +14.

MeanZ71 talked to Wheatley and he seems to thing the fuel pump is going out. I was only able to check the fuel pressure at idle and a few revs so I don't know what it was doing while driving.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:22 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by truckmann
I think it would have to be a really bad leak to cause that much problem and I didn't notice any apparent leaks. Fuel trims where doing some funny things though like occasional spiking up to +14.

MeanZ71 talked to Wheatley and he seems to thing the fuel pump is going out. I was only able to check the fuel pressure at idle and a few revs so I don't know what it was doing while driving.
Were the trims spiking on both banks or just one?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

It is spiking on both banks and it is spiking both negative and positive.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:21 PM
High on diesel fumes

Well fluctuating fuel pressure would cause that I guess. Time to put the pressure gauge on her and take her for a spin.

Quick Reply: Tech help please, running like chit