Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Tech help please, running like chit

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech help please, running like chit

To make this as painless as possible...my idling has been an issue for a little over a month now and I know there is probably some tuning issues but I first turned to new plugs (NGK tr55), summit 8.5 wires, used MSD coils and nothing has helped. So I just called Charlie last Thursday to put me down for a retune and to call me when things calm down. I only drive my truck to work and back usually but since Brittney's car just got totaled we drove around a lot running errands it was fine until tonight when it had been sitting for a couple hours I start it up and the idle is extra choppy. Then we pull out of my neighborhood and thats when we knew something was wrong. The damn thing is louder and missing horribly, almost like a bad exhaust leak but no leak was found. While I was checking for leaks I noticed that it is running WAY rich also. What can this be, please don't tell me this is something thats going to be a PITA cause I've had enough this weekend...
Old 08-03-2008, 10:47 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a wire or plug is bad...maybe one of those msd coils. How do you know it was rich, smell?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

smell and my eyes were watering it was so strong
Old 08-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest with no cats it will smell rich and strong.that does not mean it is,that is the nature of no cats
Old 08-03-2008, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wheatley
To be honest with no cats it will smell rich and strong.that does not mean it is,that is the nature of no cats
I just am at a loss to what caused it to all of a sudden get worse in 3 hours of sitting and why did it get noticeably louder
Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Ok tonight I checked plugs and wires and nothing wrong (only 2 weeks old), and I figured I would have noticed if a coil was bad when I first installed them(2 weeks ago). But it really didn't act nearly this bad until yesterday.

So I went on another test drive and noticed at half throttle the oil pressure is pegged at 80 and its loud cause it sounds like the motor is trying hard but the power isn't there.. Could this be the shitty stall I'm about to replace(yank is in garage)? or the actual tranny? or motor problem? Please help, in need since Brit's car is wrecked...Thanks
Old 08-04-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Your sure your plugs are properly gapped and all the plugs are on good, especially on the coils. Not that i did that a month ago Have the capabilities to pull, or check for any codes.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

No codes when scanned (Advanced Auto Parts) and I checked all gaps at .055
Old 08-04-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

I don't have any good ideas off the top of my head, but if you are in the area and need some help I could stare at it with you and hook up the HPT scanner to try and see what's going on. I'm sure your tune is locked, but I think I can still use the scanner.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by truckmann
I don't have any good ideas off the top of my head, but if you are in the area and need some help I could stare at it with you and hook up the HPT scanner to try and see what's going on. I'm sure your tune is locked, but I think I can still use the scanner.
Would yours be able to scan more things than the scan tool at Advance since my tune is locked? It would have to be this weekend at the earliest since I'm so swamped. If I can't come to a conclusion and you think it's worth your time I will give you a shout

Quick Reply: Tech help please, running like chit