Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TBSS Intake & PCV

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TBSS Intake & PCV

I have had my TBSS intake, TB, and fuel injectors on for sometime now (about 5-6 months) and ever since the install I have had issues with the PCV setup. I have the passenger's side valve cover breather tube hooked up to a hose barb that I welded into my intake tube. I have the driver's side valve cover breather tube hooked up to the nipple on the top of the intake manifold. I can hear a whistling coming from the engine bay and if I remove the oil fill cap, the noise will go away. From my research on this site and the rest of the net, I believe I have the PCV setup hooked up correctly. It seems as though I have a unusually high vacuum or I have an unusually high amount of blow by causing the whistling. Also, ever since the install, I have (2) codes for Lean Bank 1 and Bank 2: P0171 & P0174. Charlie seems to think he may have to tweak my MAF but I was wondering if the PCV issue may have something to do with the codes. Any help/insight on these issues would be appreciated.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like your pulling a lot of air into the intake. That would explain the lean codes. Does the cap on the valve cover not seal properly?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see you have a TBSS intake? Have you had any of these issues? How is your PCV system plumbed?

The oil fill cap o-ring is in great condition if that is what you are referring to. It just seems as though the engine is pulling a large amount of vacuum and because it cannot get air from the PCV system it is pulling it from anywhere it can come from which, in my opinion, is allowing unmetered air into the intake which is throwing the lean codes. If I could figure a way how to limit the amount of vacuum coming from the intake manifold (with a check valve or something), I think I could alleviate this issue.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is hooked from the passenger side head to the intake port. The drivers side is the stock filler cap.
My thought was that you have a leak that is allowing air into the crankcase and then to the manifold. The PCV is only supposed to suck up the small amount of blowby but if the valve cover gasket leaks then it will pull in lots of unmetered air. Thats why when you open the filler the squeal stops because the air is pulled through the cap instead of the leak.