Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Swapped my old volant for FIPK...FYI

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Swapped my old volant for FIPK...FYI

Well, that volant must of been real bad[ old design I had on my y2k truck and put on my new one] because the k/n kit has made a big difference in this truck. Seat of pants-more power and way better throttle response. It's also very loud and has changed the exhaust note too. Did I mention it's very loud, oh well, seems to work much better so I'll tolerate the noise.
There has been a lot of talk about the older volant kits hurting performance and judging by how my truck now runs, there may be some truth in that.

Dave
Old 05-17-2005, 11:49 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Man that sucks. I mean sucks for me when i was racing N/A I was using the Volant, even when I dyno'd I had it on. No wonder I didn't feel anything going from a ghetto fab stock unit to that one.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like the K&N...mine has a loud induction sound at higher throttle settings...don't know if the exhaust is different;mine is stock.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Veteran

so are you saying the K&N musta gave you 20hp? Cause you arent gonna fell any difference really unless you get 20hp more than likely.. neother intake is gonna give you more than 12hp im sure which is why most wouldnt feel the gain even if it did help, unless you dyno test it.. the only thing I norice about my volant was it seemed to pick up a tadddddddd more in upper rpm's.. i say i mighta gained 8-10hp if that which is no more than I was expecting.. i wouldnt think the K&N was gonna give 20hp lol

I put a AIRAID on my 98 and couldnt feel a difference... i have yet to feel any real gain from any intakes, but 10hp is 10hp
Old 05-17-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

i just put a volant w/ram air on my truck, seems alot different
Old 05-17-2005, 07:09 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I have heard in some cases that trhe Volant made you LOSE HP. I can't remember if this was on GMs or Dodges though and it was definately on the old Volants, not the ones with the updates.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I didn't make any power claims, only pointed out a noticable difference.
Some people may be very happy with their volants depending on the vintage, mine was an origional and didn't even have the intake tube replacement. There are threads on here where volant had even offered to replace them because of disappointing performance and documented magazine testing that showed a loss in power.
If I had put on a new style volant I may have noticed the same difference. But there is definitely a noticeable improvement in it, also now has a big serge at 3500 rpm that wasn't there before and better throttle response as well.
My origional post pointed out that my volant was an old kit and I didn't intend to slam volant, only the old kit that I had probably wasn't doing much.
Our trucks are similar except mine is 2wd and lighter and has headers as well,so
changes may also be more noticeable.
Enjoy
Dave
Old 05-17-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

no prob man didnt mean to sound like a azz or anything to ya btw either

i got one of the new ones.. one of my buds has the old style but he swears that helped him a lil also..

but it could just be the I did a mod, so im quicker factor for all of us LOL.. Heck, when i wash my truck it feels 3tenths quicker

I still thought volant shoulda maybe offered a replacement or exchange for the old to the new ones.. but thats just me...
Old 05-17-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool, nice car too by the way

dave
Old 05-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
I have heard in some cases that trhe Volant made you LOSE HP. I can't remember if this was on GMs or Dodges though and it was definately on the old Volants, not the ones with the updates.
The older version of the volant was known for actually robbing hp on forced induction GM trucks and there wasnt really a considerable gain with a stock truck either. I had the older version on and it was ok. Had more response at higher speeds but i did gain mpg's. Apparently the new volant has fixed all the problems and is pretty good now so who knows, havent tested the new one yet

Quick Reply: Swapped my old volant for FIPK...FYI