Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharged 6.0 Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 12:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharged 6.0 Build

Hi, guys so here is the low down. I'm putting together my project 98 z28 Camaro from scratch. I picked up a 6.0 and 4L80E combo for $400. Both of them could use a rebuild with the engine having spun bearings on two journals and the trans having a broken input shaft, but I was going to rebuild both anyway. I'm planning on sticking with the stock bore and keeping it a 364 and just throwing a supercharger on it. I'm on the fence between stock rotating assembly or forged, I've seen a lot of people saying that they are good for 1000+ and if I can't find a good enough deal on the forged side I'll just go with the best OEM has to offer. I have no idea on what kind of blower cam to run and I know it's nearly impossibly, but I'm trying to keep that cam lope, but make sure the cam is capable enough of big power. For the heads I've seen people not really worry that much about heads and use the stock ones and I might do that to keep compression down; the only other option in my mind right now are the L92s, but IIRC I think those raise compression. Of course whether I go stock or forged internals I'm going with ARP bolts. I have no idea on what to run for the supercharger, but I really want a top mount twin-screw because I love the look of those mounted up over all the others, but I can give up the look I want for something that gives similar or better boost for a better price something like a Procharger. My eyes are kind of eyeing a used LSA supercharger kit from a cts-v or zl1. The trans I don't even know where to start with it. I know I need a good rebuild kit, but I'm wanting to do a manual/automatic valve body and just don't know if that would work out or if it isn't that big of a deal and will work fine. I'm going to stick with automatic and I might pick up a shift kit as well. I'm shooting for 550+ to the wheels, in a perfect world I would like to see about 650+. I don't know what driveshaft to go with because everything just says I need to go custom. I'm also thinking of doing a Ford 9 inch built rear simply because I've seen that they can handle 1000+, but if anybody knows of any other rear ends that would hold up for a cheaper price let me know lol. I'm also doing a cts-v brake conversion on the front and a nice comparable cheaper set for the rear with weld wheels with big meatys on the back and small regulars on the front. I'm also thinking of running a meth/water kit to try and pull a little more power while bumping up the reliability. I searched around everywhere and even on here and I'm still just drawing blanks on stuff. If anybody has done one of these builds or have any insight or advice I can use let me know because I could really use it.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

I can't answer every question but maybe one of two here since I'm still up.

If power goal isn't something crazy like 1,000whp all day everyday then a fully forged bottom end wouldn't be money well spent. Depending on year of the motor you got can determine what parts you can consider buying. If the engine is a early 6.0 from like 99-03/04 it's going to have the weaker I beam rods that tend to bend/break over that 550-600hp mark. If it's a later 6.0 from 04-07 (GEN 3) it should have the much larger H beam rods that can handle 800-1000hp if you wanted them too.

Check what you got and go from there. Pistons you may as well buy some nice ones if you want to not worry about them ever.

Camshaft stuff maybe someone else can comment on, that's kinda up to what you want as well. The torque converter kinda goes with cam selection too.

A good rebuild kit with a few goodies and like a shift kit will make the 4L80e a beast in a smaller lighter car like a camaro. Less weight is less stress for sure.

Supercharger could be many options, something you'll have to think more about.

Going to need a decent fuel system and injectors for the power you want and whatever you do, do not run the 98 camaro computer. Use something that still drive by cable from like 00-02 to make tuning far easier if you plan to run a stock computer anyway.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FFDP
I can't answer every question but maybe one of two here since I'm still up.

If power goal isn't something crazy like 1,000whp all day everyday then a fully forged bottom end wouldn't be money well spent. Depending on year of the motor you got can determine what parts you can consider buying. If the engine is a early 6.0 from like 99-03/04 it's going to have the weaker I beam rods that tend to bend/break over that 550-600hp mark. If it's a later 6.0 from 04-07 (GEN 3) it should have the much larger H beam rods that can handle 800-1000hp if you wanted them too.

Check what you got and go from there. Pistons you may as well buy some nice ones if you want to not worry about them ever.

Camshaft stuff maybe someone else can comment on, that's kinda up to what you want as well. The torque converter kinda goes with cam selection too.

A good rebuild kit with a few goodies and like a shift kit will make the 4L80e a beast in a smaller lighter car like a camaro. Less weight is less stress for sure.

Supercharger could be many options, something you'll have to think more about.

Going to need a decent fuel system and injectors for the power you want and whatever you do, do not run the 98 camaro computer. Use something that still drive by cable from like 00-02 to make tuning far easier if you plan to run a stock computer anyway.
Firstly, I just want to say WOW and thank you for replying so quickly. The engine is a 03 so I'm already planning on going with the 04+ rods connected to the some nice forged ones if I can find them or just some of the best OEM ones. As far as the trans yeah I'm definitely going to do a nice shift kit to beef it up, but going to put in a manual/automatic valve body so I can manually shift when I want to and just leave it in auto when I want to.The supercharger yeah I got a lot of possibilities, the main one i'm looking at though is a gently used LSA sueprcharger because everything total will be like 3-4K which isn't that bad at all. I'm keeping all my options open though so I can just find the best deal. I was also planning either 60lb Siemens Deka injectors or larger and a Walbro 450 fuel pump. I also do plan to run a stock computer because I'm going to run things like ac, heat, etc so what would you recommend? Just a ecm, pcm from a 00-02?
Old 11-24-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I'll echo FFDP. He gave you good advice.

As far as cam and converter selection, you really need to be honest with yourself as to what you want. For 550 horsepower you can easily get away with a more tame combo. At 659 you need things to be more aggressive. That. Ring said, cam selection for a 1900 will never be something as radical as a big NA cam.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

Computer wise the 98-99 computers are early operating systems that leave a lot to be desired in a F-body. Less tables, less available options for 2/3 bar speed density setups and for use with running a 4L80e transmission.

The Later 2000-2002 computer from either a car or truck (silverado/seirra) offer a far better starting point for tuning. If using HP Tuners as an example, nearly all of those OS's support the segment swap option to put a 4L80e calibration segment into the computer. Same with the 2/3 bar stuff, mostly all of them offer good support there so you can run boost.

The only stuff I do not know about is the wiring. Not sure what is different between the 1998 car and running a new computer/operating system.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
I'll echo FFDP. He gave you good advice.

As far as cam and converter selection, you really need to be honest with yourself as to what you want. For 550 horsepower you can easily get away with a more tame combo. At 659 you need things to be more aggressive. That. Ring said, cam selection for a 1900 will never be something as radical as a big NA cam.
What do you mean by be honest? I'm willing and probably am going to beef everything up to handle power.
Originally Posted by FFDP
Computer wise the 98-99 computers are early operating systems that leave a lot to be desired in a F-body. Less tables, less available options for 2/3 bar speed density setups and for use with running a 4L80e transmission.

The Later 2000-2002 computer from either a car or truck (silverado/seirra) offer a far better starting point for tuning. If using HP Tuners as an example, nearly all of those OS's support the segment swap option to put a 4L80e calibration segment into the computer. Same with the 2/3 bar stuff, mostly all of them offer good support there so you can run boost.

The only stuff I do not know about is the wiring. Not sure what is different between the 1998 car and running a new computer/operating system.
Nice, I'll just get a computer from a 2000 or later model for the ease of use and I'll figure out and to integrate and adapt or just replace.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

No, not 2000 or later. 2000-2002 only.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

I am pretty sure
Old 11-25-2017, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Old 11-25-2017, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Yeah I'm pretty much shooting for a computer from between 00-02 lol, but what exactly constitutes the computer. Just the ECM or the PCM as well? I'm a little fuzzy on that.