Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Sts boost reference

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sts boost reference

Just wanted to share this information. Today I installed this manual boost controller in the cab.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ME:B:EOAB:US:6

I also moved the boost reference from the turbo housing to the intake manifold and Wow what a difference it makes!
I don't know if its the new boost reference point or the boost controller or both, but it gets on boost quicker and blows the tires off shifting into second now and I still only have it set at 5lbs. Now I can't wait till my intercooler gets here.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ronn25
Just wanted to share this information. Today I installed this manual boost controller in the cab.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ME:B:EOAB:US:6

I also moved the boost reference from the turbo housing to the intake manifold and Wow what a difference it makes!
I don't know if its the new boost reference point or the boost controller or both, but it gets on boost quicker and blows the tires off shifting into second now and I still only have it set at 5lbs. Now I can't wait till my intercooler gets here.
Very nice!! Can you explain more about changing the location of the "boost reference" and what it does?
Old 02-05-2005, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

The wastegate needs a boost reference to operate. The stock sts kit has a vaccum line going from the turbo housing to the waste gate, when the intake housing on the turbo sees 5lbs, the waste gate opens to bleed off the excess boost, but keep in mind this is 5lbs at the turbo, the turbo still has to fill the intake pipe that goes all the way up front to the engine.

Now my reference point is at the intake manifold. I ran the vaccum line from the intake to the boost controller in the cab and then to the waste gate.

Now the wastegate will not open until there is actually 5lbs at the engine, so in theory it should get on boost quicker and stay at the correct boost better at the gear shifts which accounts for me feeling more power and blowing the tires off shifting into second.

Hope this makes sense, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:07 PM
12 Second Truck Club

This is essentially correct. We figured this out when I first put the intercooler on the truck. To my knowledge no one else had done an intercooler yet and couldn't help with my problems. One of my buddies (Blackbird on this board) gave me the idea and it worked great. I turn turn told Jerry2500 about it when he was having problems after his IC install and that strengthened my opinion that this works.

Only thing is, I have never seen anyone without an IC try it and didn't think it would do much but now that I think about it with the way you wrote it out it makes perfect sense why it would help without the IC too.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Makes sense at first but how about this?? If a tube (intake tubing) is pressurized wouldn't it be the same at both ends at the same time? Boost doesn't move with the flow of the air intake. Now if you put a restriction in the tubing (IC) then there will be a pressure drop between the manifold and the turbo.

I tried all different boost ref's with my set up and found the boost reacted faster when I picked up the signal from the turbine housing. When I added the IC I noticed a 2 psi pressure drop so I just turned up the boost until I got what I wanted at the manifold.

Who Knows what works on one truck may not work on another. Whats important is that you smokin the tires in second gear in a truck!!
Old 02-05-2005, 11:20 PM
12 Second Truck Club

How was your stability?

I didn't worry so much about losing boost. I was having troubnle keeping it steady. On high boost I would vary form 11.5-14psi or close to that. It was very erratic. After I swtiched to the manifold for a referance the boost was much more stable. I wouldn't vary at all except at gear changes and even that wasn't extreme till my trans started slipping real bad.

I may try swtiching back on the next combo then back to the manifold just for the hell of it to see what kind of results I get.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Seems real stable. It used to fluctuate a lot but seemed to get more consistant just with the addition of the boost controller.. Dont know why???

I do notice that when I jump on it hard it will only boost to 6 PSI but if I roll into WOT slowly I can build 8 PSI, weird. I think It did this no matter where I pulled the boost ref from, cant remember.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Ok, maybe its just the new boost controller being able to react quicker than just the wastegate alone?
Old 02-06-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ronn25, we found the exact same problem on our Dodge kits. We first changed wastegate port from the compressor housing to the compressor outlet and the boost was much more stable, especially the WFO to close. Spikes were reduced.
We also had our boost gauges tapped into the intake just before the TB and upwind of the extra injector ( Dodge item ). We were not getting the expected HP at the wheels. STS suggested we tap into a manifold source and we then found a 2-3psi lower reading on the boost gauge. Re-ran the wastegate source to the manifold and the same 5psi boost reading got the lost HP back.
Theory is that the intake manifold has additional restriction and is the proper place to take your pressure reading. The motor is still "seeing" 5psi according to the gauge.
Does this make sense? I am living this remotely as I have been on work travel in Portland for the last month.
Also gotta commend STS for their support and follow up AFTER the sale. One of the best I have ever seen.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:21 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Keep us updated her on your progress KTM. I have a feeling I'm gonna get banned form DTW soon so I may not be able to keep up with your truck

Quick Reply: Sts boost reference