Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Speartech LS2/6L80E swap!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WorkTruc
what did you do for gear selector?
Gear selector does not work. It probably wouldn't take a lot of modification to fit the black switch to the side of the 6L80 and make it work thru the Gen 3 PCM. It's just not worth it to me. It's easy enough to do by feel and habit.

adams2003: The 6L90 is in the 08 Silverado/Sierra HD with the 6.0L. It's supposed to be considerably stronger than the 6L80. The input gearset has 6 pinion gears instead of 4, and the output gearset is thicker on the 6L90 which adds about an inch and a half to the overall length of the trans.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
cool work it just sucks its so hard to make work with most of stock electronics in a gen 3, imo if you could some how get it to work easier with the gen 3's i think youd have a much bigger sales market.
You're absolutely right. Because of the CAN bus on these, I don't think you'll see a 'black box' adapter that allows this trans to be easily used in non-Gen 4 setups, but who knows?

My sales market for this isn't really you guys because of the above mentioned problems. I just wanted something quick and easy to mount all of this in and get it running and use for a test bed. The Silverado was the answer for that. Since I did it in a truck I posted it here for you guys to see and give feedback.

Our market is really much older trucks and cars. We've already done some LS7/6L90 systems for some early Corvettes (63-67). Those guys want the latest and greatest just as bad as you guys do!

John
Old 09-26-2007, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Speartech
Yes, it's the CAN bus that changes everything. The trans will only talk to the new 58X Gen 4 engines/controllers.

I don't see anyway to use it with a 24X engine.

Swap in a 58x reluctor wheel, 4x trigger cam sprocket, LS2 front timing cover, all the correct sensors, and you are home free ... hehehehe.

NICE WORK!

Bill

Last edited by Bill Reid; 09-26-2007 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Is there any chance you could do a Vacuum Modulator conversion so that you don't need the electronics?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Is there any chance you could do a Vacuum Modulator conversion so that you don't need the electronics?
maybe FLT can I hope
Old 09-27-2007, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Hey John, would the E67 controller run a 6L80E/6L90E? I don't know if any vehicles have this combo yet or if it even matters as long as it uses a CAN bus.

The vehicle I'm thinking of looks like it will have a E67 GenIV 5.3L/4L60E combo. That looks fine until you get to the 4L60E part.

E67 GenIV 5.3L/6L90E looks much better.

Can you explain a little bit how these new seperate engine/trans controllers communicate with each other? In the past when they were integrated into the PCM if you did a trans swap you just had to get the correct OS/engine/trans file and flash it in(simply put). Now, does the engine controller specifically send certain info to the trans controller or does the trans controller just look for certain info in the data stream on the CAN bus?
The E67 certainly has the capability to run the 6L90E, but I don't think there is an existing combination like that. If they get to where we can just move different calibrations around, then it should be easily done.

The communication between the two modules is handled mainly thru the CAN bus, and they are talking alot! It's almost the same as when both functions were in one 'box'. So now if you were to change the trans, you would reflash BOTH the ECM and the TCM for the changes. That's the way it is at this point in time anyway. It may change as they figure more stuff out on them.

John
Old 09-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah ok, thanks for the info, sounds like it's similiar to the old way just with more computers involved. . I believe you're right about there not being a 6L90E/E67 combo yet.

You make an adapter harness for a E67 to E38 swap?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kbracing96
4wd???? Possible????
Yes! Check out my sig. Had John make my harness.
With my 4x4 version I didn't have to do anything to my transmission mount or my rear driveshaft. I had to shorten my front shaft by 1 inch.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 03_SS_Blue
Speartech:

Will the 6L80/6L90 Tramsmission family work the AWD transfer case of the SS Silverado?

Thanks
CD
If you have the NP8 case it should work just fine. The 07 version I am using has the larger 80 series input shaft, 80 series rear output shaft, and the smaller 60 series front output shaft.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Wide Open
Yes! Check out my sig. Had John make my harness.
With my 4x4 version I didn't have to do anything to my transmission mount or my rear driveshaft. I had to shorten my front shaft by 1 inch.

How does the new engine/trans combo run?
Do you have any pictures taken with the truck up on a lift?
Is there a separate thread on your conversion?

Quick Reply: Speartech LS2/6L80E swap!