Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Smogging mild 4.8 California (in the mean time)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smogging mild 4.8 California (in the mean time)

Pic for attention:

Hey guys, I’m looking for input/info/experience from the California guys on here regarding smog. So truck finally has a stage 1 4l80e I swapped into over winter break. So time to focus on adding some power in the mean time so I don’t get entirely bored and keep the motivation going. Truck is a 2000, 4.8, 4L80e, 3.73 10 bolt (will be swapping a true 9.5 14 bolt since I need a new driveshaft before I run it on the dyno anyway), no shorter gears tho as it already runs about 2400rpm @ 70. It does have EGR and AIR injection which I plan to keep functioning until I swap in a fully built engine, would rather avoid blowing $3-400 hot smogging a little 4.8 lmao. Truck has shorties and a “Cold air intake” and currently passes fine (without the catch can anyway).

Before I start, yes I know the usual spiel, “don’t bother with the 4.8 unless you’re doing FI” etc etc. I already have a few parts for a stroker build later on when money isn’t as tight. With that out of the way, I already have a TBSS manifold (with the blocked off EGR provision), ported 92mm WARR throttle body, 243s I plan to mill .020 and gain the rest of the compression back using thinner (Cometic) head gaskets, Trick Flow/Jegs/Elgin 216/220 .560/.560 @114 and 36lb flex fuel injectors. I figure basically everything (minus the throttle body which I think I can...disguise) should go through any smog place fine. If push comes to shove, I’ll try to source some of the Vortec 6000 3 piece engine covers and that should cover just about everything lol.

TLDR: Do TBSS intakes pass smog visually?

Last edited by 400_SS; 03-12-2020 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Missing background
Old 03-12-2020, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 137 Likes on 113 Posts

Seems like A SHIPLOAD of money to spend on something, when you could spend A FRACTION of that on a LQ9 long block, and get MORE. More of EVERYTHING. Torque, power, FUN, … EVERYTHING that matters.

Results per dollar.

Once you do the "math" (not really math, just 3rd grade arithmetic, really) you QUICKLY see why it makes no sense to do that sort of thing to some lowly 4.8. Unless of course you have the problem where the facts don't matter, and you're just gonna do whatever you're gonna do no matter the facts, and since you wanna do it and it's YOUR vehicle, you can whatever you wanna.

Just don't expect all the rest of us that don't share the problem involving facts, to come in here and tell you that ignoring them is A Good Idea.

Not sure if the intake passes the visual. But as long as you can bolt all the "devices" back onto it in a manner that the smog tech can see them and they look more or less normal, it probably will.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

^^ What he said.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RB04Av
Seems like A SHIPLOAD of money to spend on something, when you could spend A FRACTION of that on a LQ9 long block, and get MORE. More of EVERYTHING. Torque, power, FUN, … EVERYTHING that matters.

Results per dollar.

Not sure if the intake passes the visual. But as long as you can bolt all the "devices" back onto it in a manner that the smog tech can see them and they look more or less normal, it probably will.
Hmmm, that’s what I figure for the manifold as well, but I’m just wanting confirmation from someone who’s used one and gone through fine.

In regards to the value, well I got the heads for real cheap, intake for free, cam for $250, TB for like $170 but I can reuse that for the next engine since it’s a 4 bolt TB. I should probably expand that I’m planning to throw an aluminum LS3-based stroker in it later on when I can afford a full engine build for that. I want an aluminum block to offset the weight from the 80e (essentially shift the 80-90lbs lost from the later engine to where the trans is). I already have the rectangle port heads and rect port truck manifold as well (also for cheap) for the future engine. IMO, if I’m going to risk getting caught having a whole different engine in the truck, I’d rather wait for the built aluminum block to be worth the risk for me (po-po’s been very active here lately ).

Also, I should add, one of the spark plug holes in the 862s on the 4.8 right now is starting to strip (already is???) and to repair it I’d most likely have to take the head off anyway and if I’m going to take the head off and do the head gaskets, both heads are going to be off, might as well install all this.
Old 03-12-2020, 09:04 PM
Teching In

And also, LQ9s aren’t cheap here (at least not lately). Honestly, looking stuff up right now, I don’t think anything LS is cheap here anymore lol. Everyone wants ridiculous prices for them now. Hard finding any for cheap (sub-$1200) that aren’t super high mileage or stolen (LKQ, wrecking yards, Craigslist, Offerup, etc.) I get the pay-to-play thing around this hobby but I’m not going to let someone price gouge me like that, especially when it’s not the end goal I’m after but I digress.