Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Is roots style that much better than centrifugal

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is roots style that much better than centrifugal

I'm confused, I'm gonna build a stroker, and I also want to supercharge it, now I know that the radix is bad, but the paxton, or procharger, or a different brand just as good??
Old 09-03-2003, 11:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is roots style that much better than centrifugal

I'm confused, I'm gonna build a stroker, and I also want to supercharge it, now I know that the radix is bad, but the paxton, or procharger, or a different brand just as good??
The Radix is excellent. As is the ATI. I would not run a non-intercooled S/C in this day of age. The Whipple Twin-Screw compressor is better but they need an intercooler and LOTS of tuning to get right. Those extra injectors just gotta go.

Radix and Whipple make power pretty much off idle to redline. The Roots style should taper off as the rpms near 5000. The Whipple will make the same amount from idle to redline and does so more efficiently.

The ATI, Paxton, Vortec and other centrifugal (sp?) blower make more boost depending on engine RPM. Sorta like a belt driven turbo. Like if you make 7psi at 2800rpms you may make like 14psi at 6000rpms, it just keeps increasing like that. Since only the ATI is intercooled you could fab up a Front Mount Intercooler from a Duramax/PowerStroke/Cummins for some super cooling.

I'd run a Centrifugal on a large stroker as I don't think any of the Twin Screw/Roots ones will fill a 400+ cubic inch motor. AND you will have an assload of low torque so with a Twin Screw/Roots you will have super bad traction problems.

Don't forget your 4L60E won't take this sort of abuse you are planning, a 4L80E is going to need to be done. Also I don't believe an 8.5" will take that power on a set of slicks even with forged axles, Eaton, cryo'd gears, and a girdle.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Better, roots makes low end but falls off on the big end...For your application you will have low end grunt from the stroker, but the big end charge of a centrifugal. Most lil roots are good to 8 pounds some alil more but Prochargers, Vortechs you can get mad boost up to 35pounds of boost in some models....
Old 09-03-2003, 11:58 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just depends on what you plan to do with the truck.....All race, or street and race....
Old 09-04-2003, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

it is not that it is that much better it is that it makes the power diffrently. i read an article in a hotrod mag that compared a roots style blower vs. a turbo vs. a centrifical charger and it might of had a twin screw blower dont remember though. it mainly depends on what you ultimatly want to do. i personaly will get a pro charger because it is more race bread and you can do more with them. but i will not sit here and tell you what i think i will tell you what the mag said. the roots style came in last. they made less power at the same boost level as everything else. the roots style is less efficient do to heat and other things. for instance you can gain like i believe 90 hp on a lightning just changing from a roots style to a twin screw. the turbo and cen charger were close but the turbo made almost 100 more lb of torque. i will try and find the article and post it. most will say but the radix is intercooled well intercool the others and you still have the same standings.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:10 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It will come down to what you prefer.....You can ask 1000 people what they like, and everyone will give you a different answer!

Advise: do your research! Homework pays off on this one!
Old 09-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info guys...I will have to do some more research but it looks like I'll be going with a centrifugal. As far as my tranny goes I'm gonna order a tranny, from Level 10, they are supposed to build a tranny that will hold up to 600 ft lbs. and 800 hp. and I don't plan on making more than that. Now I haven't even thought about my rearend.. has anyone had problems with these rearends not being able to hold up to that kind of HP??
Old 09-04-2003, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think we should keep in mind that the Radix is NOT your typical roots. The good folks at MagnaCharger have done some funky stuff with the rotors to make them the best of both worlds, being kind of like a combo between the twin screw and roots. The Radix doesn't fall on it's face as RPMs go up. Mine would increase about a pound and a half by 6k rpms.

Like blownchevy said though .. it really depends on what you want to do with it. If it's going to be a track truck, then ATI is probably the way to go. If you use it as an actual truck, hauling and towing stuff, then Radix or Whipple would be the way to go.

I'm sure it's been mentioned a thousand times, but here it is again. The Radix and Whipple make assloads of power off idle all the way to redlin. The ATI doesn't wake up until about 3k rpms. The Radix and Whipple are very streetable too, as they have an internal valve that relieves boost so the engine isn't always under boost.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:51 PM
Launching!

it's going to be a daily driver, but I've had the truck for almost a year and I haven't pulled anything yet...
Old 09-12-2003, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

The NHRA allows the Alcohol Class to use either Roots or Screw, but very few if any use Roots. The Fuel Class is REQUIRED to run Roots because they already make more power than they can use anyway. If they were allowed to use Screw too the Fuel cars would leave the ground. What about Powerdyne? Belt drive internal AND external which means no oil plumbing required.

Quick Reply: Is roots style that much better than centrifugal