Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reluctor wheel/ crank no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:14 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Reluctor wheel/ crank no start issue

Hey guys, 06 lq4 into a 00 5.3 silverado. I should have the 24 tooth wheel still correct? I've heard conflicting stories on when they changed and now that the motor is in I'd like to avoid pulling it to verify and then buying the $300 control box to fix it. The truck has a factory computer in it and it has oil pressure and fuel pressure but sounds almost like its out of time when cranking. What are my options if it does have the 58 tooth wheel?

Thanks,
Red
Old 06-11-2012, 01:21 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

What color is the sensor???

The Crank Sensor on the side of the block should be Black for 24X and Grey for 58x

You should have a factory 24x set up on an LQ4 from 99- 07classic truck.

07-up NNBS should be 58X for the E38 ECM

HTH
Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Did you get a tune???

It may be the Anti theft. Make sure the battery is full charged.

I copied the procedure for you from another thread.

ATTENTION: Your vehicle may not start unless this procedure is performed.

GM introduced an anti-theft system in 1996 and newer vehicles.

In order for your vehicle to start, you must perform the passkey relearn procedure.

If your vehicle’s battery is low, it is recommended a battery charger be hooked up at this time.

This Procedure will take approximately 20-30 minutes.

After your PCM is installed, please perform the following.

You may want to be outside your vehicle so shut the door, roll down the window.

PROCEDURE:

Insert key, attempt to start the vehicle and leave the key in the ON position.
In some vehicles, the Battery and Security light will blink for several seconds, and then shut off. Then the Security light will then remain ON. Leave the ignition ON until the Security light goes OFF. This will take more than 5 mins.

When the Security light goes OFF, turn the ignition to the OFF position.
Leave ignition OFF for 20 Seconds.

Attempt to start the vehicle again and leave the key in the ON position.
In some vehicles, the Battery and Security light will blink for several seconds, and then shut off. Then the Security light will then remain ON. Leave the ignition ON until the Security light goes OFF. This will take more than 5 mins.

Turn the ignition to the OFF position for 20 Seconds.
Attempt to start the vehicle again and leave the key in the ON position.

Once this entire procedure has been completed (three times) your vehicle will start on the fourth attempt.

Note: Some vehicles perform the relearn in a different sequence. You may notice your security light, battery light and abs light will alternate. Once the security light is left out of the sequence that is considered one step. Repeat the procedure two more times and on the fourth time your vehicle will start.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:53 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Thanks for the fast responses, I have the black crank sensor and the motor is definately not from a nnbs truck. The relearn procedure is not working, I'm not getting a flashing or steady on security light.I have 2 pcms and both give the same result.. any other ideas? engine sounds like its backfiring though which has me concerned. 06 LQ4 tsp228r prc 2.5 5.3 heads milled .030 headers, everything else is stock 00 5.3 stuff (intake, tb etc...)
Old 06-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by 20002wdchevy
Thanks for the fast responses, I have the black crank sensor and the motor is definately not from a nnbs truck. The relearn procedure is not working, I'm not getting a flashing or steady on security light.I have 2 pcms and both give the same result.. any other ideas? engine sounds like its backfiring though which has me concerned. 06 LQ4 tsp228r prc 2.5 5.3 heads milled .030 headers, everything else is stock 00 5.3 stuff (intake, tb etc...)
Who built the engine??? Are you sure it has the correct length push rods in it???

are you sure cam was lined up properly???

Are you sure all the grounds are hooked back up, like behind the back of the block???
Old 06-11-2012, 05:17 PM
14 Second Truck Club

grounds are good, Its my second ls build but I took my time and everything was spot on internally. Push rods are good to go. Could it be in the tune or should it be running regaurdless? I had 2 computers from wheatley and he returned both of them back to stock. it should be ready to fire at least right?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it still tuned for a stock 5.3?

When I did the swap, mine was a b**ch to start before I got the new tune uploaded. It took like 30 minutes of fighting with it to get it to idle on its own.

Trending Topics

Old 06-11-2012, 10:54 PM
14 Second Truck Club

still tuned for a stock 5.3. I'm giving in and trailering it to a local tuner this weekend I guess
Old 06-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

I would think it would at least try and start.

I hope when he put them back to stock he un-locked them other wise the new tuner wont be able to get in.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:09 PM
14 Second Truck Club

i'd like to hope so! I have a feeling something fishy is going on here so I'm hoping an experienced set of eyes and ears can sort it out quickly.

Quick Reply: Reluctor wheel/ crank no start issue