Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

redoing my exhaust again, can use some urgent help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default redoing my exhaust again, can use some urgent help

Well I have an appointment tomorrow to fix the exhaust, I got a HUGE fine from the cops and I have to swap out the exhaust asap.

Now whats getting on my nerves is this:

On all my corvettes, I always ran longtube headers with no cats and the stock exhaust has a pretty short perforated tube when the valves are open, and when the valves are closed it becomes a rotational muffler and kills the sound.

On the ZR1, the perforated tube is A FEW inches long, and alot of people used to run offroad headers and yet they sound tame compared to my truck even though I have HUGE straight through mufflers.

The case on my mufflers are 21" long each, they are straight through with a perforated tube, and dumped with the tips angled facing the ground.

questions:

- how much are the dumps contributing to the loud exhaust? My exhaust drones at idle, which is what makes it shake the body, shake windows, and attract alot of unwanted attention.

- My perforated tube inside the muffler doesnt have alot of perforations like other mufflers, they are farther apart from each other, could this be a reason?

- Im pulling the tips to the back, and instaling two small straight through mufflers at the back, with a spiral perforated tube (that has lots of perforations unlike my current mufflers)