Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

READ ME: Warranty work denied due to programmer!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With that much modding done, Going to the dealer to get it covered would have been the last thing on my mind..Im sure they are looking for any little excuse to not have to warranty parts. Once they hear the cam they are going to assume that it had a programmer/tune on it, Like said above he prolly needed to physically hear you say that it had a programmer on it.. Atleast your back on the road now.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:22 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by D_reks{5.3}
With that much modding done, Going to the dealer to get it covered would have been the last thing on my mind..Im sure they are looking for any little excuse to not have to warranty parts. Once they hear the cam they are going to assume that it had a programmer/tune on it, Like said above he prolly needed to physically hear you say that it had a programmer on it.. Atleast your back on the road now.
GM replaced 4 or 5 transmissions for me under warranty lol. the LS1 was eating them left and right.

as for a stock ecm to the side...no way in hell would my truck idle on a stock tune.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It could be a combo of cam and tune that fouled the cats up. Either way the dealership has spoke on this issue. But there is NO WAY they can legally deny your entire 100k warranty because of this issue. If your A/C went out they can not prove that the tune messed up the A/C system. If your power window went out there is no way that they can prove your cam made the window motor fail. The only thing they can deny warranty on is your cats. Now if something else fails in your drivetrain they have to prove that it was cause by a modification that was done to the vehicle (cam, injectors, etc.) A G80 option can be destroyed by adding HP. The parts that you have installed increased the stock HP which is what the G80 is designed for won't be covered under warranty if it blows up.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
GM replaced 4 or 5 transmissions for me under warranty lol. the LS1 was eating them left and right.

as for a stock ecm to the side...no way in hell would my truck idle on a stock tune.
Damn thats nuts, You wouldnt think they would replace them knowing there is an LS1 under there eating them alive lol
Old 03-19-2010, 12:15 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does somebody have a link to the legal documentation that states that the dealer has to prove that the aftermarket component caused the failure? I'm curious to see how it reads...didn't realize that there was a LAW in reference to it....
Old 03-19-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

I believe they are referring to the magnuson-moss warranty act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

There's a lot more links if you just google it.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:26 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by Zick
I believe they are referring to the magnuson-moss warranty act.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

There's a lot more links if you just google it.
Thanks Zick
Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

For those that think i am upset i am not! I could careless about my warranty. When my engine or tranny blows up i will get to rebuild it my way!! I am hoping some newbie reads and thinks twice before JUST adding a programmer, and to share the BS that a dealer can dish out

TO MAKE A LONG STORY LONGER<<< According to my dealer they never even got to the problem. I knew it was the cats but they did not. There were no codes on when i took it in and they said it cost $110 bucks just to tell me what was wrong with it after all this. According to thier story they stopped as soon as they hooked up a scanner and saw the programmer. Wheather they new it was the cats or not i will never know.

I believe that driving 50 miles on 7 cylinders was what melted my cats. Cats melt when mixtures are rich. Mine are very lean normally! Either gas was dumping out my motor or the computer was compensating on other 7 cylinders. My cats looked like lava inside!

Last edited by gblauf; 03-19-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

They can actually tell if its not a GM OS back till 1998 LS1 Pcms if its not left stock.
But on 99-07 you can flash it back stock. Newer stuff it dont matter, its trapt somewhere in the electrical system

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread....light=warranty

Old 03-19-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
They can actually tell if its not a GM OS back till 1998 LS1 Pcms if its not left stock.
But on 99-07 you can flash it back stock. Newer stuff it dont matter, its trapt somewhere in the electrical system

Agreed, on the GMT-900's each time the computer is flashed it leaves a signature, even when the dealer has to flash it for whatever reason, but in their case the flash is recorded. Even when swapping ECM 's it will show as a battery disconnect, but I highly doubt anyone would bust your ***** over a battery disconnect as they couldn't prove why it showed up. All this started with the diesels, as people were popping them left and right. It was just a natural progression for them from there. OBD II has been the greatest thing to ever come along in my mind for the hot-rod community, due to being able to do might near anything you want to vehicle and still have it pass emissions, but I'm really afraid the end is near. Just as what happened with Casper Electronics rear O2 Simulators, the government is bound to catch on and put a stop to it all. I hope I’m wrong and it doesn’t happen anytime soon, but I can really see them eventually forcing states to go back to a sniffer test and not solely rely on the OBD II test.

Quick Reply: READ ME: Warranty work denied due to programmer!