Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about a cam LSA!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dry, thats a big cam for our trucks:-p Im guessing you have a stick also?
Old 03-03-2006, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98TAauto
Dry, thats a big cam for our trucks:-p Im guessing you have a stick also?
I know its a big cam, has to be big to get big hp, I'm tryin to make my truck be a 12 sec truck, so gotta go big
Old 03-03-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've recently talked to Nelson about putting this cam in a LQ9, he said it should make about 460hp to the wheels, this is what he told me, I don't expect to see this, this is with a 3200 stall, true dual exhaust, bout 100 or 150 shot, posi, 4.11, shift kit and servo, he said that with these mods he predicts 460, so we'll see in time, but he said that with that cam he can tune it to make damn good power and only give up about 2mpg, so we'll see what happens
Old 03-03-2006, 07:55 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Originally Posted by dry_kill
I know its a big cam, has to be big to get big hp, I'm tryin to make my truck be a 12 sec truck, so gotta go big
Not necissarily, There is such thing as overcamming and IMO that is what you are about to do with that BIGASS cam. Our heavy trucks dont take kindly to big cams without a LOT of cubic inches of displacement. I would put that cam in something like a 370ci motor in a scsb.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
Not necissarily, There is such thing as overcamming and IMO that is what you are about to do with that BIGASS cam. Our heavy trucks dont take kindly to big cams without a LOT of cubic inches of displacement. I would put that cam in something like a 370ci motor in a scsb.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the LQ9 like 364 cubes? Or close to that? So with that cam it would be good to put it in there then right? Since u did suggest a 370 cube motor to put it in
Old 03-03-2006, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

allen has put a 224/226 in a 6.0 ext cab, and I have seen it run high 12's N/A... call him and ask him what he suggest... I believe that is with a 3k stall as well...
Old 03-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Sexy Party Mod

Originally Posted by dry_kill
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the LQ9 like 364 cubes? Or close to that? So with that cam it would be good to put it in there then right? Since u did suggest a 370 cube motor to put it in
That is correct but, i did suggest a lighter truck as well. You will be running a excab with an assload of weight. Remember Cubes eat cams. Weight is a huge factor in the correct cam you should run. If i were you i would try to either talk to Allen about which cam would work best or really do some research about what would work best and then have one custom ground. I am getting my cam ground from Ed Curtis as we speak. His prices are a bit high but he will grind a cam to your setup.

I have been talking to Kyle (sport side) and am learning about this same subject. I have found that there is more to a cam than just .050 values. You can have a cam that has a relatively small duration at .050 and be freakin huge at .200. These are just some things that i have learned.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FarmerBeau
That is correct but, i did suggest a lighter truck as well. You will be running a excab with an assload of weight. Remember Cubes eat cams. Weight is a huge factor in the correct cam you should run. If i were you i would try to either talk to Allen about which cam would work best or really do some research about what would work best and then have one custom ground. I am getting my cam ground from Ed Curtis as we speak. His prices are a bit high but he will grind a cam to your setup.

I have been talking to Kyle (sport side) and am learning about this same subject. I have found that there is more to a cam than just .050 values. You can have a cam that has a relatively small duration at .050 and be freakin huge at .200. These are just some things that i have learned.
Well in your first post right above it, u will notice I did talk to nelson about it and he said that he did like the idea of that cam going in, he said it should make some good hp
Old 03-03-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

allright heres what i was thinking earlier, im not really looking to race my truck, i just want to get more power out of it for the bigger tires im gonna put on it and im not really wanting to change the stall, at least not right now... if i took like the old man cam at 214/220 .600/.523 115 and added a few degrees of advance to it, would i still need a new torque converter since the advance would give more more power earlier on?
Old 03-03-2006, 11:15 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnrthdxDream
allright heres what i was thinking earlier, im not really looking to race my truck, i just want to get more power out of it for the bigger tires im gonna put on it and im not really wanting to change the stall, at least not right now... if i took like the old man cam at 214/220 .600/.523 115 and added a few degrees of advance to it, would i still need a new torque converter since the advance would give more more power earlier on?
Going this route will undoubtably tax your transmission. For larger tires you shoud change to propper gearing to compensate. For 32" running 3.73 or 4.10 gears would be appropiate.

Quick Reply: question about a cam LSA!!!