PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   question about a cam LSA!!! (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/question-about-cam-lsa-360317/)

dry_kill 03-02-2006 09:35 PM

question about a cam LSA!!!

i had a question about the LSA on a cam, i know the LSA kinda tells how the cam idles, i believe the lower the LSA the louder??? Anyways doesnt it also tell the powerband, like where the cam has its power, and if that is true, where does a 112, 113, and 114LSA make power? also what does the advance do??? like a 112+2, or a 113+4, thx fellas

Yelo 03-02-2006 10:06 PM

A cam with a higher numerical lsa will idle smoother....

The higher the LSA the higher up in the powerband the cam will peak....

Advance is the number of degrees or rotation either BTDC or ATDC that the cam has ground into it.....it's the same as mechanically advancing the cam with an adjustable timing set. advance is usually ground in when they want a smaller cam to make power furthur up the rpm band but still retain all other characteristics of a small cam. You can "shift" a powerband up or down a few hundred rpm's by either advancing or retarding the cam when installed

98TAauto 03-02-2006 10:11 PM

just examples below
112 would peak like at 6000
113 would peak at 6100
114 would peak 6300-6400 roughly

i like 114 with *4 degrees advance ground in so it idles good and doesnt have to rev to the moon

TurboGibbs 03-02-2006 10:19 PM

I don't want to start a pissing contest here but here is my take on LSA and cam timing. Keep in mind that more duration will move the rpm peak up as well.

Wider the lsa the less overlap wich causes a smoother idle and a broader power band. The more narrow the lsa the more narrow the power band and the more peak hp you will get if all other specs remain constan.

Advancing and retarding a cam will do the oposite of ignition timing. The more advance (+) the lower that determined power band will shift. The more you retard (-) the cam the higher the power band will shift. A change of 1* will only move the power band ~200-300 rpm.

Anyone feel free to go give their comments. I ain't skeered! :)

Yelo 03-02-2006 10:21 PM

mj...I think we're all on the same page bro......no pissing contest to start....

TurboGibbs 03-02-2006 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Yelo
mj...I think we're all on the same page bro......no pissing contest to start....

well, damn. :jest:

UnrthdxDream 03-03-2006 12:07 AM

So quick question added onto this, if i wanted a nice cam to boost my low end in my 5.3 it would be better to get a lsa of 112 with like 5* of advance to shift the power into a lower rpm range. and keep the duration around the 214/220 range?

TurboGibbs 03-03-2006 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by UnrthdxDream
So quick question added onto this, if i wanted a nice cam to boost my low end in my 5.3 it would be better to get a lsa of 112 with like 5* of advance to shift the power into a lower rpm range. and keep the duration around the 214/220 range?

That would have plenty of low end but what are you referencing it to? a stock cam? a 114 lsep would give you even more low end tq. if that is your ultimate goal.

Yelo 03-03-2006 01:26 AM

You have to be careful of just how much advance you run.....remember this is advancing EVERYTHING in the valvetrain by 5 deg relative to the crankshaft, too much advance and too much lift and you may run into p/v clearance issues

dry_kill 03-03-2006 04:51 AM

The cam specs I planned to put in is 228/232 .585/.595 114lsa, I just want to make sure that it has good al around power, low end to high end, does the specs on this cam have it or do I need to raise or lower the LSA for good low end to high rpms??