Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Progress pics on my VHP cam and rocker install

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 06:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progress pics on my VHP cam and rocker install

Items being installed:
VHP 045 "THE TRUCKER" 216/224 .551 115lsa
VHP "accelerated lift roller rockers" 1.8 (1.89) ratio
chromoly pushrods
dual springs, titanium retainers

So far, the install has gone smoothly, with help of reading countless cam install threads and the article on www.ls1howto.com. Here is where I'm at right now after about 6 hours (its my first time... and its only me ) Basically stripped down now and ready to swap out the cam (16 pen magnets handy ) and springs. Then its a matter of setting up the rockers and reassembling everything.

stock rockers/pushrods/rails:

After reading up on dual timing chains and oil pumps, it seems more like a high mileage, "just for good measure" thing....and I'm not going to be breaking any HP records with my setup, so I think the stock chain and pump will be fine for now.

If anyone has any tips on setting up these rockers, let me know. I've read about 3 or 4 slightly different methods on getting the proper preload, etc. After I'm done I'll try and post some more pics and pointers of the installation as well.

Last edited by O3GMC; 08-09-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This will be a good thread, This information will be handy this winter when I am going to install the same cam & rockers.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by O3GMC
Items being installed:
VHP 045 "THE TRUCKER" 216/224 .551 115lsa
VHP "accelerated lift roller rockers" 1.8 (1.89) ratio
chromoly pushrods
dual springs, titanium retainers
*dual adjustable timing chain
*blueprinted oil pump

*I may skip these and sell them for meth kit $$

So far, the install has gone smoothly, with help of reading countless cam install threads and the article on www.ls1howto.com. Here is where I'm at right now after about 6 hours (its my first time... and its only me ) Basically stripped down now and ready to swap out the cam (16 pen magnets handy ) and springs. Then its a matter of setting up the rockers and reassembling everything.

stock rockers/pushrods/rails:

After reading up on dual timing chains and oil pumps, it seems more like a high mileage, "just for good measure" thing....and I'm not going to be breaking any HP records with my setup, so I think the stock chain and pump will be fine for now.

If anyone has any tips on setting up these rockers, let me know. I've read about 3 or 4 slightly different methods on getting the proper preload, etc. After I'm done I'll try and post some more pics and pointers of the installation as well.
I may be wrong but I think the lifters have to be completely bled down. You want to set the rockers for (0)zero lash. I have a CHP mag that gives a pretty good detailed instruction on how to set all of this up...Judging by the mag this is a lengthy process!!!!!
Old 08-03-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are those Cranes 832 springs?
Old 08-03-2005, 08:39 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool man, thanks for the pics, keep em comin! Hope it keeps going smooth for ya...I've read that settin those rockers up can be a bit of a pain in the butt.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Silver5.3
Are those Cranes 832 springs?
Not really sure, theyre the only dual springs that VHP sells, not sure which crane part # they are though.

http://www.vincihighperformance.com/...RTSPARENT.HTML
Old 08-03-2005, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

Question: can I clean the cam with denatured alcohol before I lube it up with oil to install? They call for mineral spirits for cleaning, but I only have alochol and regular household cleaners...

side note: I wish SDPC would get back with me about order status - I need the new crank bolt that comes in the gasket kit! I thought ordering from them would only take a day or two since theyre also in TX
Old 08-03-2005, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Question: can I clean the cam with denatured alcohol before I lube it up with oil to install? They call for mineral spirits for cleaning, but I only have alochol and regular household cleaners...
i used brake cleaner to clean my cam really good before i installed mine , cleans good and drys quick .

good luck with your install man .

that cam sounds kickass in my truck , i know you will like it
Old 08-03-2005, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chopperbrent
i used brake cleaner to clean my cam really good before i installed mine , cleans good and drys quick .

good luck with your install man .

that cam sounds kickass in my truck , i know you will like it
I dont have brake cleaner - just carb cleaner as far as the automotive cleaners go...guess I'll go pick up a can

Do you have any sound clips of your cam? I can't wait to hear this cam with the cutout open
Old 08-03-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont have brake cleaner - just carb cleaner as far as the automotive cleaners go...guess I'll go pick up a can

Do you have any sound clips of your cam? I can't wait to hear this cam with the cutout open
If theyre clean, I wouldnt spray anything on them or into them. Fill a clean jug with oil and soak them. Get something into the needles.

Springs look like the Crane 144832-16's. They are a great affordable dual spring!!!

Quick Reply: Progress pics on my VHP cam and rocker install