Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Power upgrade decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power upgrade decision

I currently have a 5.3 with a whipple. I have a 6.0 ready to install but can't decide whether or not to go with a turbo now instead of the whipple. My thoughts being that becuase I live in Florida I really need something intercooled. For what it would cost to custom fab an intercooler for the whipple, I could instead sell the whipple and buy the turbo kit. I change my mind every day and cant decide.

1. 6.0, whipple, as&m headers, & maybe water inj.

2. 6.0, whipple, headers, fab a intercooler=$$$$

3. 6.0, complete turbo kit, sell whipple & headers.

What do you guys think? I am not trying to out run Parish but I want something very streetable but quicker than my current whipple set up. RYAN23SILVERADO, how do you like your intercooled whipple, and does anyone else have one. Do you have any numbers on it?, and how did the tuning issue work out?

Thanks for your thoughts guys!
Old 05-10-2004, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blownZ71
I currently have a 5.3 with a whipple. I have a 6.0 ready to install but can't decide whether or not to go with a turbo now instead of the whipple. My thoughts being that becuase I live in Florida I really need something intercooled. For what it would cost to custom fab an intercooler for the whipple, I could instead sell the whipple and buy the turbo kit. I change my mind every day and cant decide.

1. 6.0, whipple, as&m headers, & maybe water inj.

2. 6.0, whipple, headers, fab a intercooler=$$$$

3. 6.0, complete turbo kit, sell whipple & headers.

What do you guys think? I am not trying to out run Parish but I want something very streetable but quicker than my current whipple set up. RYAN23SILVERADO, how do you like your intercooled whipple, and does anyone else have one. Do you have any numbers on it?, and how did the tuning issue work out?

Thanks for your thoughts guys!
turbo is the ****. ::::BTSHHHHHHHH::::
Old 05-10-2004, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

My personal opinion is to get the turbo kit. It really looks like parish has set a trend here. I have heard it drives like a stock truck untill you punch it. I like because most people do not know what one looks like so it is kind of a sleeper.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Correct me if I am wrong.....but Parish made a little over 400rwhp on pump gas with exhaust. This compared to ranwalk's 450+ with a whipple & 6.0.
I am not downing Parish at all, but I want a daily driver street setup i.e. exhaust, pump gas, no juice, etc.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

turbo does everything better (once its in!)
Old 05-10-2004, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

If you knew the answer to your on question why did you even ask about the turbo?
Old 05-10-2004, 08:25 PM
Launching!

I was just seeing if anyone had any other pros or cons of each. Also would like to know how much non-intercooled boost I could run is the Florida heat. The main question is how much is an intercooler worth?
Old 05-10-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

I believe on the video Parish posted he put down 497 on pump gas with no nitrous.
The way I see it the main advantage of a turbo is the ability to adjust the boost. Turbo's also make more power and torque per pound of boost if I remember correctly.
The whipple would be really fast as well and alot cheaper since you already have everything. Why arent you considering alk injection? It works exceptionally well, doesnt cause a loss of boost like an intercooler, and is like $400 for a complete kit.
If you arent looking to break into the top 5 fastest trucks, I wouldnt spend the extra bread on the turbo. A 6.0 with a whipple, ASM's, 4'10's, and alk running 8+ pounds would be real quick!!
Old 05-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greentahoe
I believe on the video Parish posted he put down 497 on pump gas with no nitrous.
The way I see it the main advantage of a turbo is the ability to adjust the boost. Turbo's also make more power and torque per pound of boost if I remember correctly.
The whipple would be really fast as well and alot cheaper since you already have everything. Why arent you considering alk injection? It works exceptionally well, doesnt cause a loss of boost like an intercooler, and is like $400 for a complete kit.
If you arent looking to break into the top 5 fastest trucks, I wouldnt spend the extra bread on the turbo. A 6.0 with a whipple, ASM's, 4'10's, and alk running 8+ pounds would be real quick!!
This is the kinda of response I was looking for...Thanks greentahoe
Old 05-10-2004, 10:28 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Blah, now I am gonna look like a Parish follower even though we started getting into the turbo thing around the same time LOL

Anyway, I like the turbo idea but you might look into Alky injection on your setup and keeping the whipple if it is able to be spun up to 9-12psi. Julio at AlkyControl.com did a 97 or 92 Chevy pickup with a Whipple and said it worked excellent. Only about $450 for a full blown kit and if you mix it 50/50 with water a 5ga jug should last you a couple months

*EDIT* Sorry, didn't see greentahoes advice Hehehe sorry bro

Quick Reply: Power upgrade decision