Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Ported throttle body question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
your the last person i would have expected to say this....i guess i should have left my ls6 heads alone because gm put thousands of hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars on the development of my heads...sure, GM did the hard part of engineering, but aftermarket porting of factory parts can be bettered by a dremel. porting is a proven mod.

i dont see how money can be spent much better. do it yourself for less than 10 dollars in material.
So I'm going to port my stock 706 heads with a dremel and expect an increase in power? I can guarantee you it will hurt the flow. Just because something can be ported doesn't mean it's will increase power. I would like to see back to back dyno runs on a stock vs ported tb. It would be any easy swap and test. I'm sure it's been done, but those that did it probably found a loss in power with the ported tb and didn't want to post the negative results. Or someone prove me wrong with some hard fact #'s, until then my tb is stock.

I don't see how someone could notice a seat of the pants increase with such a small mod (if it was even proven beneficial) especially in these heavy trucks.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:29 PM
11 Second Truck Club

porting of stock parts has proven performance gains since the engine has been around...You may not get the gains on newer heads and such that you used to get on older stuff, but gain none the less. Now if you have joe blow down the street who thinks he can port heads and throttle bodies just because he owns a dremel, you might be in for a disappointment, but if done carefully it can definitely improve power. The new boss hoss bikes that i work on for a living have ls2's and ls3's in them, we have a very good engine builder do the major work on all of our motors and he always hand ports the heads and the tb's when he does any work. He also built our 632 ci big block that makes 922 hp on pump gas. These guys know what they are doing and i doubt they would do something to decrease power when they get paid to increase. He is also the guy that ported my heads and tb.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:48 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
your the last person i would have expected to say this....i guess i should have left my ls6 heads alone because gm put thousands of hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars on the development of my heads...sure, GM did the hard part of engineering, but aftermarket porting of factory parts can be bettered by a dremel. porting is a proven mod.

i dont see how money can be spent much better. do it yourself for less than 10 dollars in material.

I think you are missing the point again. Until you open up the actual ID of the TB and increase the size of the opening you are not going to see much if any gain. What you are actually doing is "smoothing" the air path, this will improve the way the TB "processes" the air...but not how much air it will take in. What are you doing when you CNC a set of heads? OPENING UP THE INTAKE AREA!

You are NOT taking in any more air until you OPEN up the effective throttle area. Anything else is snake oil and will be a negligible gain at best.

But hey, I am an idiot.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
I definitely noticed better throttle response
I would have to say the noticed gain is probably more from cleaning the TB that anything else.

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
But hey, I am an idiot.

Agreed...

I agree with you. Until you open up the narrowest point, there will not be a significant increase in CFM through it. There will be a small increase from SMOOTHING the flowpath, and another small amount from grinding the throttle stop, so all told, YES, you may feel a slight difference, and a crisper throttle. However, what BlownChevy is saying is there is alot of potential for error when porting the TB, that the "risk vs. reward" is upside down here, and the money is better spent elsewhere. Now, if you are doing it yourself, then go to town, the result is free, whether its good or bad.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are NOT taking in any more air until you OPEN up the effective throttle area. Anything else is snake oil and will be a negligible gain at best.
By doing the half shaft modification on the TB, you are increasing the cross sectional area at WOT. I did this, but I cannot say I noticed a SOTP improvement in hp, I think a side by side dyno comparison would have to speak for any power increase. But as you said, you would be taking in more air by increasing the effective throttle area, so I would imagine it would make more power.

EDIT: Just did some rough math: If you have a 78mm TB and the part of the shaft you remove is 3mm thick, you have increased the cross sectional area 5.6%, 4mm is 7.5%.

Last edited by TX Tahoe Z71; 06-05-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:52 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1-2hp gains are like splitting hairs. If you simply add the money you would spend to a BETTER mod, the better off you are.

The juice is not worth the squeeze with the TB "Porting" mod, sorry.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I better get the spiral one for my truck.. it should spin the air when im in boost..
Old 06-06-2009, 12:34 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

I think you are missing the point again. Until you open up the actual ID of the TB and increase the size of the opening you are not going to see much if any gain. What you are actually doing is "smoothing" the air path, this will improve the way the TB "processes" the air...but not how much air it will take in. What are you doing when you CNC a set of heads? OPENING UP THE INTAKE AREA!

But hey, I am an idiot.
in my case i kept the stock valves so i didnt change the actual size of the opening...i must not have gained anything from it?
Old 06-06-2009, 01:41 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed an increase with mine, I don't really care what someone who hasn't done it says about it.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I really dont give a **** what you think Scott.

Quick Reply: Ported throttle body question