Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

planning a 5.3 build

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking planning a 5.3 build

04 silverado reg cab swb- 5.3/auto/3.73

So here we go.....I am planning to make some power with my truck....but new to the silverado world so I have a few ?'s and would like to get some input here.

For some reason, I am totaly queer over the Trick Flow top end package for gm 4.8/5.3.... they claim 450hp at the crank which will be plenty for now...I am also wanting headers/LSXRT intake/ported throttle body too. The truck only has 30xxx miles, so I hope to have a reliable combo- on top of making azzload of N/A power with a paltry 325c.u.

shopping list-
trick flow pkg---includes heads/cam/pushrods/roller rockers/gaskets--

http://www.trickflow.com/egnsearch.a...=KeywordSearch

new lifters
headers
intake/tb
torque converter
tune
E fans

Will I be able to use the stock injectors for this horsepower range?
I am planning on using the stock fuel rail assembly with LSXRT-any reported issues?
Is there anything important missing from the shopping list?

I still have to get prices for everything, but off the top of my head I am pushing my budget so if there is anything big missing from the list, I will have to do some serious thinking/re-budgeting

This should be FUN
Old 04-17-2011, 07:43 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 374 Likes on 255 Posts

What is your budget....? You might be better severed with one of the starter turbo kits from trick or kyle...
Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

about $5k.....turbo is the way of the future but I long for that sweet choppy cam idle....N/A is my path to power

cam specs:Camshaft, Hydraulic Roller Tappet, Advertised Duration 283/ 286, Lift .560/ .560, Chevy, 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0L
Old 04-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

Well, I was hoping for a little more input....but I have been on the planning warpath and the only things I have come up with to change on the list are the addition of a timing chain/gear set and the deletion of a bigger throttle body...why not the throttle body, you ask? I spoke with FAST about the benefit of a larger throttlebody and they told me that on a dyno at their facility a 90mm tb was worth 8hp over a 78mm. not worth the cost in my opinion.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

ordered top end kit, ARH headers/pipe, LSXRT, LS7 lifters, timing set, wires, YANK converter......and now working on removing the OEM parts--have pass. head off, all accesories, working on drivers side. I'm getting excited. yeah.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get bigger injectors... the Marine 8.1L injectors would be your best bet, if you're planning a small amount of boost in the future, then you'll already have the fuel for it, or if you're planning for more than a little, go 60's and a bigger pump, if you know it's the route you're going to go, why waste money on smaller injectors if you know you're going to need the bigger ones later.

If that truck has the 4L60E... might want to keep 1500-2k in reserve for a transmission, because when you start putting 400+ to the 60E and start going out and having fun... it's only a matter of time before dies, after doing my head and cam swap, I'm sitting on 2k for the day that my transmission takes a dump.

You'd get more attention if you get a mod to move this to the "Project's Gallery".
Old 04-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bentrek
04 silverado reg cab swb- 5.3/auto/3.73

So here we go.....I am planning to make some power with my truck....but new to the silverado world so I have a few ?'s and would like to get some input here.

For some reason, I am totaly queer over the Trick Flow top end package for gm 4.8/5.3.... they claim 450hp at the crank which will be plenty for now...I am also wanting headers/LSXRT intake/ported throttle body too. The truck only has 30xxx miles, so I hope to have a reliable combo- on top of making azzload of N/A power with a paltry 325c.u.

shopping list-
trick flow pkg---includes heads/cam/pushrods/roller rockers/gaskets--

http://www.trickflow.com/egnsearch.a...=KeywordSearch

new lifters
headers
intake/tb
torque converter
tune
E fans

Will I be able to use the stock injectors for this horsepower range?
I am planning on using the stock fuel rail assembly with LSXRT-any reported issues?
Is there anything important missing from the shopping list?

I still have to get prices for everything, but off the top of my head I am pushing my budget so if there is anything big missing from the list, I will have to do some serious thinking/re-budgeting

This should be FUN
I also think that kit is nice....very cool of TF to gear a kit towards our trucks..that is what makes it cool..BUT being on the internet forums gives you the inside scoop on everything else..all the parts that work, and all that dont work ...enabling you to make your own "top end kit" for less...either way you can not go wrong with TF

-I would go with a tbss intake mani for a 5.3
-at minumum 31lb injectors but 42lb marine recomended
Old 04-24-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dmelvin
If that truck has the 4L60E... might want to keep 1500-2k in reserve for a transmission, because when you start putting 400+ to the 60E and start going out and having fun... it's only a matter of time before dies, after doing my head and cam swap, I'm sitting on 2k for the day that my transmission takes a dump.
^ sound advice, have money in reserve for a performabuilt

Also, if you plan on doing more in the future, new injectors and a fuel pump would be in your best interest so you wont have to do that later
Old 04-24-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Personally i would route for a custom cam but you cant go wrong with trickflow heads. The custom ground is only 20-30 bucks over a regular one. The new lobe designs are incredible over the older stuff. I would at least do a servo and shift kit with external cooler and do a flush. You can get all those parts for about $150. I might hold a littler longer and if it doesnt then you wont need to get them when you do the whole tranny over so no loss. You have to pull the tranny anyways to do the TC so may want to even go further. Just words of advice.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

I appreciate all of the advice. There is a lot of good info in this thread!

I know we're pushing the limits of the '60 but I am doing servo/shift kit/yank 3000 converter/new fluid/filter. The truck has only 30,000 miles and I have my fingers crossed that it will be one of the few that hold together.

I will be keeping my eyes open for possible future upgrades, but as quickly as I am running out of $$$, the basics will have to do for now. sigh. I could have saved money by using ported heads and a custom grind cam and maybe made more power too, but I love the idea of the matched kit and would be willing to bet that the cam is spec'ed out with the head flow numbers in mind (at least semi-custom) It should have enough power for now. when it is wore out, something bigger will take its place.

Got the accesory bracket cleaned up and painted today....used a grinder to clean up all of the casting marks and rough edges- just kinda cleaned it up a little bit. Painted it a dark metallic bronze, hope it goes well well with Silver birch exterior...I am going to paint valve covers and pulleys silver birch to match.

Should re-title thread DOING 5.3 build....

Last edited by bentrek; 04-25-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: planning a 5.3 build