Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Oil Catch Can on N/A 5.3 fills FAST...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
so where is the valve?
In the valve cover...same location as pre-04 PCVs. From what I gather this new style PCV is just a small orifice w/ no valve. They both look about the same from the outside.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Hey, BMRisko. You know me from the other site, and I'm looking at adding one of these, too. Can you post pics of how you have everything installed - which lines go where? You are bound to get some good answers on this forum.

Do you still have the blue smoke at startup?

Last edited by Z'06; 01-23-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Teching In

I haven't driven it since I got home from my 100 mile trip. I will start it up in the morning and see how the blue smoke is. My main concern at the moment is the amount of oil that was in the can.

If you look at the first pic on page 1 in this thread, you see the stock plastic tube running from the pcv valve on the rear of the driver-side valve cover to the top of the intake. I removed this and did this: (sorry for the crappy cell phone pics)

Name:  IMAG0026.jpg
Views: 7766
Size:  102.0 KB

You can make out the black rubber tubing leading from the back of the d-side cover across the front/top of the intake (under the vortec cover) and over to the pass side, where the catch can is mounted to the front of the block.

Name:  IMAG0028.jpg
Views: 6529
Size:  88.0 KB

Looking down at the can, the right side is the inlet, left is the exit. The can I got appeared to be bi-directional.

Name:  IMAG0027.jpg
Views: 6397
Size:  74.7 KB

The tubing exits the can and goes back over the top of the engine and attaches to the intake where the stock plastic hose was disconnected from. I can not see anything wrong w/ this set-up and am still baffled as to why I am filling the can so fast. Could the 3' runs of hose be creating some abnormal vaccum? I don't see how that's possible, but you never know...
Old 01-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Well I started it up this morning and no blue smoke, which usually would have happened after driving it 100 miles on the interstate @ 75-80 and then letting it sit overnight. Now if I could make it stop filling the can so fast.

Am I overlooking something with how I have the can installed? What else could be pulling all this oil through?
Old 01-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you remove some type of "limiting valve" ? or somthing that would slow the incoming oil/vapor pressure down some...
Old 01-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
Did you remove some type of "limiting valve" ? or somthing that would slow the incoming oil/vapor pressure down some...
Nope, the only thing I removed was the stock plastic hose w/ rubber fittings on each end that runs from the driver side valve cover to the top of the intake. The only difference is this run of plastic hose was less than 2 feet, and the total length of the rubber hose I added going to the catch can is a bit over 6'.

I just came back from running a couple errands around town and there was already almost a tablespoon of fluid in the catch can.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the smoke upon startup has stopped, then you know it was pooling up in the intake. The catch can is doing it's job. I would do a compression test. You may have a cracked ring.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Launching!

I wonder if having it mounted below the valve cover has anything to do with it...maybe try mounting it up higher?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 8.1 HD
I wonder if having it mounted below the valve cover has anything to do with it...maybe try mounting it up higher?
I was thinking about that earlier. In theory it really shouldn't matter, but to try and eliminate variables, I went ahead and mounted it to the alternator bracket, so it is above the valve cover and pretty much inline w/ the intake. That also allowed me to shorten each hose considerably. Something interesting to note, when I was cutting the hoses to shorten them, I noticed a bit of light brown goo inside them...obviously that got sucked out of somewhere!

I'm about to go drive ~120 miles and I'll report back w/ any observations later on. In the back of my mind, I am fearing a bad ring though.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

There is no valve on that year the 04s have a baffle system under the drivers side valve cover.
If these get blocked it will cause this issue.
I think there was a tsb on this.

Quick Reply: PCV Oil Catch Can on N/A 5.3 fills FAST...