Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

PCM reflashing

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 03:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM reflashing

After getting my 20's on I tried to reprogram my Hypertech for the new tires... when I kept getting the messge, "Waiting for communications with the vehicles computer" So I sent the Hypertech in to get updated/fixed/whatever needed to be done. I get it back today, and it has the same exact problem, so I called customer service. Hmm... just my luck, its my computers fault, and in order to reprogramm/remove the Hypertech I have to get my PCM reflashed .

Does anyone know of what I can do now? I know dealers can reflash the PCM, but it costs a crap load of money and they will most-likely try to void my wannarty. Are there any Houston area dealers who don't care if I have Hypertech on my truck, and might possibly re-flash my PCM for free under warranty since nothing will communicate with it? Any input on this is very greatly apprechaited!

Thanks guys,
-Kurt
Old 05-08-2003, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: PCM reflashing

i just had my computer reflashed/ reprogrammed cause my superchip programmer screwed it up.

i got a good deal at the nearest dealer. they only charged me $32.50 to reflash. They just went my the hour. Also just so you know how easy it is for them. it only took like 15 minutes tops. Just ask around at the dealers and talk to the mechanics, not the guy at the counter. They know nothing. I also tipped the mechanic for getting on my truck so fast cause i really needed it that day. At least where i live.. a small gesture of thanks such as that goes a long way. I think i made a friend.
it never hurts to have a friend who works in the gm service department! peace
Old 05-08-2003, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

how far is spring texas from longview? if you dont know longview, then from texarcana?
Lone Star is in North East Texas
Old 05-08-2003, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

Spring is just North-West of Houston. The dealer I usually goto is huge... with at least 50+ service bays, so I dont know if I can talk to a mechanic one on one without getting hassled by a service guy. I am just scared to call my service consultant because he might give me some warranty BS or something, but I guess it never hurts to try.
Thanks for the reply's, any Houston area dealers people know of who will do this cheap, please chime in!

-Kurt
Old 05-08-2003, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

the dealer i bought my truck from told to ask around local shops with tuning capabilities.
the told me that messing with the stock tuning voided the warrenty. i never told him who i was he just said get it done somewhere else so they would never know. lol.... too bad you can just plug a phone line to the truck and download the pcm programming! Its 11.00pm, i must be dreaming.
Old 05-09-2003, 12:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

They can't void your warranty cause you tuned your PCM, they won't agree to reprogramming it under warranty. GM isn't gonna get on the dealerships door step and inspect modified vehicles, cause warranty pays awfully crap for the technician and workshop in about 98% of all warranty jobs manufactures don't worry about warranty work. The tech is gonna try and find any way to get himself out of a warranty repair. But GM regions offer incentives to service departments who have the lowest warranty booked, so of course the service consultants probley are the ones cashing in on this incentive so they avoid warranty best they can. Extended warranty companys when called for a claim do ask if the vehicle is lowered and crap if you are warrantying struts, sway bar links etc. The purpose of warranty is to find a Remedy for deformed parts.