PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/)
-   GM Engine & Exhaust Performance (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/)
-   -   ORY Vs. Catted Y pipe (https://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-engine-exhaust-performance-21/ory-vs-catted-y-pipe-516007/)

wuznme 03-27-2013 07:54 PM

Just relaying what I was told , when trying to decide which to go with. I did go with the catted Y however ground clearance is having me get non catted Y.

I always thought you could tell, certainly on a stock exhaust with gutted cats you can tell.

Was told 2 different times from 2 different folks at ARH in regards to their system

Mangled03gmc 03-27-2013 07:57 PM

Well not sure, but I would be willing to bet even one with out a trained ear could tell the diff.

shaw_426hemi 03-30-2013 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by wuznme (Post 5085364)
Just relaying what I was told , when trying to decide which to go with. I did go with the catted Y however ground clearance is having me get non catted Y.

I always thought you could tell, certainly on a stock exhaust with gutted cats you can tell.

Was told 2 different times from 2 different folks at ARH in regards to their system

Let us know what you find with yours. I'm considering buying a ORY for mine and ditching the cats, strickly for sound of course.

wuznme 03-31-2013 11:18 AM

It is louder and that damn drone is back (had gutted cats prior to headers on stock) while cruising certain speeds.

AKlowriderZ71 03-31-2013 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by shaw_426hemi (Post 5086430)
Let us know what you find with yours. I'm considering buying a ORY for mine and ditching the cats, strickly for sound of course.

It won't sound much different at idle. But it will get raspy, and you should also expect some drone.

shaw_426hemi 03-31-2013 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71 (Post 5086781)
It won't sound much different at idle. But it will get raspy, and you should also expect some drone.

I've already got the drone so not a big deal there. Might have to get a ORY...

AKlowriderZ71 03-31-2013 11:09 PM

Let me know when you're ready. :)

Vortec350ss 04-01-2013 09:05 AM

it will get a good amount louder under load... I've never heard ARH cats before, but just in general. If its just the idle chop you're after then the ORY isn't the right place to look.

That being said, I run an ORY and I'm happy with it haha

shaw_426hemi 04-01-2013 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss (Post 5087074)
it will get a good amount louder under load... I've never heard ARH cats before, but just in general. If its just the idle chop you're after then the ORY isn't the right place to look.

That being said, I run an ORY and I'm happy with it haha

Mine is pretty loud now and it drones at basically any speed, it is kind of annoying at highway speed but otherwise its not bad in town. Its got some chop but i like that raspy sound I think too. Anyone point me in the direction of a good raspy sound in a video? should have got the ORY from the start :sigh: