Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ORY or straits?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:26 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

On another note a bolt on kit is usually best for HP on mildly modded cars/trucks. It is hard to find a custom exhaust shop that will do mandrel bent pipes in a custom exhaust. If the pipes aren't mandrel bent it seriously screws up the flow of the exhaust. If I were you I would buy a 3" mandrel bent kit and put that on with your new ORY.

I used to have a custom exhaust on an old truck, but I wouldn't go that route again unless I needed something custom fabbed for a high HP application. Then it would be worth it to pay the extra money for a performance shop that knows what they're doing piece it together with mandrel bent pipes (IE a single 3.5"-4" or dual 3" set up).

Where you live in LA I'm sure you can find a cheap (possibly cheaper then the custom exhaust) aluminized kit that will last a long time and flow well.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so all that stuff i just ordered wont work?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

.What did you end up ordering? And unless ur making 5,600hp I wouldn't worry about it. Aslong as the pipeing isn't bent to where it shuts off the exhaust flow with a mild build you should be fine. My 6.0 has true duals obx lt's with the midpipes to match then after my exhuast shop did the rest. Xpipe then bullets a little farther back. My exhuast flows pretty f'n good if you ask me. But like I said b4 its all about what u want and how you want to set it up. Not everybody is the same bruh. But good luck and hope you get what u want!!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wesley_g
the guy at the exhaust shop said it would restrict more air than straits, so i figured i would get some opinions.
This will actually hurt you more than it will help you in a heavy truck.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

I just bought the pacesetter headers 3'', 3'' y pipe, and a 3'' electric cutout. Not sure about which muffler I'm going to go with, I have flowmaster right now. Any ideas on a good one?
Old 03-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

First throw away that flowstopper!! Haahaha. I like mufflers such as dynomax bullets. Corsa. spintech super pro streets. Hooker areochamber things of that sort but diff not flowmaster stock muffler flows better then one of those hahaha. Good luck with ur setup!
Old 03-12-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wesley_g
I just bought the pacesetter headers 3'', 3'' y pipe, and a 3'' electric cutout. Not sure about which muffler I'm going to go with, I have flowmaster right now. Any ideas on a good one?
Pretty similar setup as me. Pacesetter LTs, ORY, chambered Borla XR-1.

Unless u are really wanting an "open header" sound. I think you wasted your money on that cutout.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Regular

Have any sound clips of that borla? And ye I think the open headers sound good IMO just cant run them round here. I have a 86 Chevy with open headers and love the way it sounds but I've got pulled over to many times for it
Old 03-12-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

never mind on that sould clip, just did some research, not paying 200-300 for mufflers.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Swap that cutout for one. Labor will be cheaper too.

But, you don't have to get the chambered. The round borlas run around $150. I went for the chambered to try to keep it a little quieter. Its still loud as f*ck.

Lmk if you end up wanting a clip of it.

Quick Reply: ORY or straits?