Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optimized/Ported stock '03+ DBW throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjhoward
I don't doubt you if you say you have. I was going to do to mine what you basically have done and if it didn't work just swap to the 90mm at the time. It always helps to use a little common sense when you have a grinder in hand.
Well then, if you believe me at face value...

These throttle bodies make your truck the fastest vehicle on the planet. They add a bajillion HP, but only 10 TQ, so a higher stall is recommended... A reduction of ten tenths of a second in 0-60 time are typical and gas mileage goes up by 30 MPG.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS_bnoon_SS
Well then, if you believe me at face value...

These throttle bodies make your truck the fastest vehicle on the planet. They add a bajillion HP, but only 10 TQ, so a higher stall is recommended... A reduction of ten tenths of a second in 0-60 time are typical and gas mileage goes up by 30 MPG.

I just was making sure that you knew I wasn't calling you a liar.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mjhoward

I just was making sure that you knew I wasn't calling you a liar.
No, I didn't think that. We're cool.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:08 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i thought that little hole was just for the passenger side valve cover breather hole. thats where mine looks like it leads to when i took it apart. cause on these the throttle plate move itself to control the idle. i've watch it do it lol.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4.8T
i thought that little hole was just for the passenger side valve cover breather hole. thats where mine looks like it leads to when i took it apart. cause on these the throttle plate move itself to control the idle. i've watch it do it lol.
I guess you could be right, LOL! I never actually looked, I just assumed it was the idle bypass port.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

yeah theres no need for a bypass port because the blade moves to keep idle lol. take a look i could be wrong but i think i'm right for once
Old 11-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

So what happened, did you ever test this??
Old 11-15-2006, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

kind of makes you wonder why GM added all that material there. It wasn't cheaper to do that and its not like its an emissions/mpg issue...
Old 11-15-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tglandon
So what happened, did you ever test this??
I never heard back from blownchevy at all about his test on a friend's stock truck. I have had other vehicles dyno tested though and every one has made power. There are tons of companies that do this for the LS1 throttle bodies and they all make dyno tested power as well.

Originally Posted by treyZ28
kind of makes you wonder why GM added all that material there. It wasn't cheaper to do that and its not like its an emissions/mpg issue...
From what I can tell, the extra lip is to aid in EGR mix "tumble" and to actually slow down throttle response to make the throttle "not so touchy". More so on the EGR reason...
Old 11-15-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

I too would really like to learn more about this. I will say that I did have a shaner ported TB on my 04 Crew Cab, and it felt like it did help throttle response, and I really couldn't tell HP, but its not really enough added to be able to FEEL. I did notice an issue with idle. Well, let me step back, when I had my cam installed and some minor tuning done to help it run until I could get to Nelson, (same shop did cam install and tune), their answer to help it idle right with the electronic TB was to drill out a small hole in the TB Blade and idle it up. Obviously had nelson idle it down as soon as possible, but I never liked having that hole in the blade, so I contacted Shaner for a ported TB. Got it, installed it, no hole in blade and it ran fine, but I started noticing that it would idle very strangely. Especially at low RPM's like stop and go or very slow traffic, I would have to keep my foot on the brake even if moving slowly, cause it would idle way up and speed up even with my foot off the gas. Now, I will make an additional note here now, that I also had an ASP underdrive pulley on the truck at the time as well as on my current truck, and I have noticed that on my current truck, when the voltage drops a bit, that the RPM's will idle up with the ASP Pulley on. It never did this before the pulley. So I don't know if that affected things any with the other truck. I do know that on the Shaner Ported TB, at the bottom of the TB looking down the throat, it seemed as though he ported too deep into the TB, because I could noticable see light between the TB Blade and the metal lip below the blade if that makes sense. Anyways, so this went on for a while, changing the tune to see if I could get the idle right, removed the electric fans, I had to anyways, but always had noticed a corrulation with the high idle and these kicking on. Nothing worked at all, so I got ticked and decided to remove my ported TB and put the stocker back on, so I did. Get everything all bolted back up and crank the truck and get the reduced power mode and the truck would not stay running with the stock TB on it. I tried to reset the system and it would not run with the stock tb on, just the ported TB and with the high idle. Never did things figured out with the truck and would up trading it in on my 06 Z71.

Perhaps you can shed some light on this, similar mods are going to be made to my current truck and I had considered another Ported TB if done right. I am not saying that yours will have the same problems that mine did, if you have found a better way to port them, then I salute you, just wanted to throw out there the issues that I had with another Porter. I would seriously like to hear some feedback on these that you have already done.

Quick Reply: Optimized/Ported stock '03+ DBW throttle body