Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pan problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 01:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan problems

School me. I have an 03 Silverado 4.8l 2wd. Long story short, I had what I thought was an oil pan gasket leak. So I bought a new gasket and rtv. Changed everything and let set over night, next morning I come out add the oil and fire it up, let everything get up to full operating temps and checked for leaks before a test drive. All was well, until I got it back home and shut it off, then it started pouring from around the bolt next to the oil filter. I made sure everything was to spec "Per Haynes manual" Tried again, same thing. Dropped the pan, bought another gasket and redone the job only to have the same out come leaking oil from around the same bolt I pulled the bolt that appeared to be leaking, what I noticed was what looked like oil draining down the threads. Now Im wondering if all along this was maybe a rear main seal problem that some how I made worse or is something inside the pan not right? When running it don't leak, shut it off and it drips pretty steadily. The bolt/hole Im talking about is to the right of the oil cooler block off plate. Sorry if I left anything out, if need be I can add pictures later today. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bolt is right at the oil cooler block off....is that the 2 bolts holding the plate or the one running into the block through the oil pan? The require 4 dabs of rtv at each corner of the oil pan due to the way the covers meet the oil pan. Are you putting the gasket then rtv and letting dry or putting the pan back on with the rtv still wet?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the bolt running into the block through the oil pan, sorry should've been more specific. I let it dry both times over night.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hm...never had that happen. Try putting the rtv on wet an bolt it up then let it dry.