Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil consumption and catch can alternatives

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default oil consumption and catch can alternatives

Anyone actually put a real pcv valve in instead of using a catch can. Im getting alot of oil consumption when going wot Im almost positive its getting sucked into the intake.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
Anyone actually put a real pcv valve in instead of using a catch can. Im getting alot of oil consumption when going wot Im almost positive its getting sucked into the intake.
Convert to the LS6 valley cover. That will help big time. It works, it worked on my 5.3! Cheap and really easy to do. Crank case air is drawn from the valley of the engine where the chance of oil being caught is alot less. Versus the air being pulled from the valve cover where most know that alot of oil goes through with the air. Most people dont understand that the LS6 valley cover is about the best choice when it comes to the oil problem. Like on GM-Fullsize.com, numerous people bitch about how much oil is being used between oil changes. And how their rigged up wal-mart catch can doesnt work. I mention the LS6 cover time and time again and they just say "well, im gonna re-rig this catch can. I THINK its gonna work."

Heres the difference between the valley covers. Black box is the baffle from which crank case air is pulled.

Last edited by 99Silver5.3; 07-31-2005 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Junkie

thats good to know but I really dont want to take the majority of the top half of the motor off just to fix this. I do have that gasket though if anyone wants it. Have you ever heard of anyone just putting a regualar ball type pcv valve in there
why didnt gm do it?
Old 08-01-2005, 06:31 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
thats good to know but I really dont want to take the majority of the top half of the motor off just to fix this. I do have that gasket though if anyone wants it. Have you ever heard of anyone just putting a regualar ball type pcv valve in there
why didnt gm do it?
The fixed orifice style PCV was designed since GM originally found the problem on engines with the traditional style PCV...my truck came with the old style PCV from the factory. The fixed orifice PCV is supposed to help fight oil consumption (as we all know, it doesn't work)

Last edited by budhayes3; 08-01-2005 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I bought a regualr ball type pcv and we'll see what happens. After a long drive I looked at the stock one and it was all junked up you could tell it had sucked in oil and gummed up part of the hole.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:25 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok. This site is great. Just about one minuite ago I learned what a catch can was. Then I made a post abot loosing a quart of oi; within 2000 miles, then I read this thread, and remember changing my PCV valve. Damn, should have kept the old one. Anyway, it looked the same as every PCV valve I've ever seen defore, I guess its the ball type youre talking about. What else should I try??
Old 08-04-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by white1
Ok. This site is great. Just about one minuite ago I learned what a catch can was. Then I made a post abot loosing a quart of oi; within 2000 miles, then I read this thread, and remember changing my PCV valve. Damn, should have kept the old one. Anyway, it looked the same as every PCV valve I've ever seen defore, I guess its the ball type youre talking about. What else should I try??
evidently they had complaints about oil consumption with the old ball style pcv so they went to the newer style and ended up changing back. This was just something cheap Im trying before I put in a catch can Im just too lazy to replace the valley cover. If anthing I would rig a shielding piece inside the valve cover
Old 08-04-2005, 06:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Silver5.3
Convert to the LS6 valley cover. That will help big time. It works, it worked on my 5.3! Cheap and really easy to do. Crank case air is drawn from the valley of the engine where the chance of oil being caught is alot less. Versus the air being pulled from the valve cover where most know that alot of oil goes through with the air. Most people dont understand that the LS6 valley cover is about the best choice when it comes to the oil problem. Like on GM-Fullsize.com, numerous people bitch about how much oil is being used between oil changes. And how their rigged up wal-mart catch can doesnt work. I mention the LS6 cover time and time again and they just say "well, im gonna re-rig this catch can. I THINK its gonna work."

Heres the difference between the valley covers. Black box is the baffle from which crank case air is pulled.

How much does it cost, and what all is involved in swapping them out, sorry not to mechanicly inclined.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 08-04-2005, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKHD01
How much does it cost, and what all is involved in swapping them out, sorry not to mechanicly inclined.

Thanks,

Jason
LS1 to LS6 PCV conversion
Old 08-04-2005, 09:03 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white1
Anyway, it looked the same as every PCV valve I've ever seen defore, I guess its the ball type youre talking about.
You can tell the difference between the 2 PCV valves by shaking them...the ball style will rattle. The fixed orifice PCV is basically a PCV valve shell with a tiny hole at the bottom...there's nothing inside it.

Quick Reply: oil consumption and catch can alternatives