Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oem cat verses aftermarket cat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oem cat verses aftermarket cat?

I have to get a new cat and wanted to know should I pay the extra $$ and get an oem because I had no problems with resonance with the oem or go back with the magnaflow aftermarket cat that has some resonance? It is a 91 Silverado stock except for the Gibson exhaust which is great. I am looking for good power but more important I want it to sound good with less resonance and no issues to deal with since some of these mechanics say the aftermarket ones are crap. The aftermarket ones are really cheap compared to the oem one and it has to be ordered. The shop saws the oem ones are a bead type and not honeycomb style. Any thoughts?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

From what I've heard the aftermarket cats flow a little better than stock. To me there wouldnt be that much of a difference if you went with either one. I know the OEM cats can be expensive but to save some money just go back to magnaflow if you dont mind the extra resonance.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:59 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a factory replacement with Magna Flow high flow cats I can sell ya. PM me for the details. I bought it and was going to install it, then I got some dyna techs and used the cats that came with those.....for now. The Magna Flow Y is brand new and has been ceramic coated.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I have a factory replacement with Magna Flow high flow cats I can sell ya. PM me for the details. I bought it and was going to install it, then I got some dyna techs and used the cats that came with those.....for now. The Magna Flow Y is brand new and has been ceramic coated.
I don't beleive her truck is a NBS.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:29 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickvrebel
I don't beleive her truck is a NBS.
I guess I should have read better!
Old 10-04-2006, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

The oem cats are higher b/c they have more precious metals. There is alot more palladium, rhodium and platinum in stock ones than aftermarket. Flow is compromised for efficiency.
They both do the same job. One vehicle is not going to save the atmosphere.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Has anyone ever heard of any difference in the aftermarket cats and idle problems? Every mechanic I went to pretty much said "Oh she has an aftermarket cat on it that could be a problem" I found out 1 year later that the dang thing ain't working. No mechanic ever checked the exhaust system after all the trips I have made to the shop and replacing all kinds of things. Basically what I am trying to decide is this going to be an excuse if I go with the aftermarket cat for the mechanics to not find the real problem if this cat doesn't fix my issues. Any thoughts?