Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

NOS bottle under bed...??? or where else

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just going through the same thing trying to figure out where to mount the bottle. At 1st I didnt want to mount the bottle in the cab(I was being a bitch for some reason) but thats were it is going. Like you I dont have a tonn cover nor do I really want one at least not anytime soon. I was thinking about just mouting it in the open in the bed and having everything(opener and heater) quick connected so I could just take it out in a matter of minutes and I would just have to put it in everyday or when thought I might use it but you never know when you need it. I was just gonna run any wires/hose back through the hole in my bed and tie it off. Then people were telling me to either get a custom box made like out of fiberglass or metal just the right size for a bottle so you would have to look in the bed to see it and get it paint matched or not. I also got the idea of putting a small tool box in there just the right size for the bottle and either of those ideas would also need a lock if you dont have a garage or even if you do. The idea of the custom box in the bed is the way I would go If I didnt have a EC or if I had a RC with stereo. There is pleanty of room under the truck but what if some freak accident happened and you got hit and who knows what could happen you know! Do the custom box or toolbox!
Old 10-14-2004, 01:30 PM
Former Vendor

I will try to get you a picture of our LS1 s-10 bottle postion. We mounted under the bed and used the remote bottle opener for on and off.
Ricky

Originally Posted by chris99gmc
I have tried searching alot about where you guys put your nitrous bottles.... not much luck.

I figure the easiest place is IN the bed, but that's a NO NO for me. I have no bed cover, and I don't plan on getting one anytime soon.

I have thought about some places in the cab, but I don't have ANY space at all unless I can customize my center console and mount it underneath it.

I would like a 15lb bottle, but I doubt I can pull that inside the cab.

My question is, Has anyone ever mounted the bottle underneath the bed, possibly near the rear of the truck on the driver's side away from the exhaust near the frame rail??? i looked up under there today, and it looks like it could be done. I have no spare under there, so I do have some available space. I am just concerned if I am setting myself up for a disaster or not.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have mine behind the seat for two reasons. It was easy to install and its easy for me to open to wax some ***.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:27 PM
On The Tree

e-mail me at kmreed35@hotmail.com and I will send you a pics of how I mounted mine
Old 10-14-2004, 05:34 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mudz5.3
I think under the bed you will have to worry about the roads and you will always want to check it. God for bid if it falls off and its full. I'd like to see the centerconsole idea work better. Do you have true buckets? or the bench w/fold down console?
I've seen plenty of trucks with tanks mounted under the bed for air bag set ups. I'm sure a nitrous tank could be safely mounted somewhere.

Originally Posted by snoman
I think I would rather have it outside passanger compartment than in it incase of some weird failure.
Originally Posted by mudz5.3
They have blow off tubes attached to the bottle, for this reason. Not a bad idea. Safety would be a concern anywhere you put it.
First of all the blow off tube is just that, a tube. The blow off valve is what I think you're talking about. It is to prevent the bottle from exploding because of too much pressure. There is a pressure sensitive disc in the valve that, when reaching a certain psi(3000psi I believe), breaks and lets the contents of the bottle out. If the brackets holding the bottle in place break and the bottle starts dragging and ruptures, there would be a violent explosion. The blow off valve will not help you in that situation.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys.... some are decent ideas, but most Of them still won't work for me.

I can't mount the tank behind the seats im my truck anywhere really:

I have the actual center console in there.... I have thought about modifying the compartment, so I could fit a bottle basically unside of the console mounted to the floor... but that basically eliminates the whole console.

I would rather have the bottle on a remote open switch and outside of the cab(just in case something unfortunate happens)... plus I can save the time and $$$ from a blow down setup and still not have to worry about anything... Plus I'll actually get to keep the Little room that i DO still have in the cab.

I like the tool box idea, but in the bed still won't work for me... I like to keep my truck as clean as possible, so nothing permanently goes in the bed, just not gunna happen......

I would still like to mount it under the bed. I have been thinking of getting one of those Red lightweight tool boxes and stripping the inside minus some nos bottle brackets... I would mount it upsidedown under the bed somewhere around where the spare tire used to be.... I could latch up the toll box after strapping the bottle up inside of the box. Then latch the box over it for extra security and nothing would really get at the tank, i.e. rocks, wetness, sparks or anything you could think of.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:53 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do the toolbox idea, I would make sure you still get a blowoff valve and tube, warmer, jacket and a digital nitrous pressure gauge mounted somewhere in the cabin like the A-pillar or something.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

guage.. yes.... warmer- i deem it not necessary for starters.. it doesn't even get that cold here.

do you think the Blowoff valve is necesary?
Old 10-14-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

You can remove the spare tire, if you don't mind driving without one, and put the bottle there.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
"Look son that trucks got nitrous."
"How can you tell daddy"
"Well son, you the that bottle draging behind him..."

I have had my bottle mounted under the passenger side step of my bed for about a year and it isnt going anywhere. I got the idea for under the bed when I saw a long bed OBS truck with TEN air bottles mounted under it to run air tools. If a work truck can live with ten bottles mounted under it, my street truck can handle one.
hey where did you get your hood from i like it!!!

Quick Reply: NOS bottle under bed...??? or where else