Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New vvt cam. Now I'm screwed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

i've done heads on Ls engines a few times never used any copper spray or any thing, just chased the bolt holes then cleaned up every thing really good made sure gaskets was installed right then followed the torque specs. always used new gaskets and head bolts

to chase the bolt hole i grind a slot on a old bolt use my cordless screwdriver with the clutch turn way down run the bolt in and out a few times then use compressed air to blow them out then chase it again if its clean move to the next if not repeat untill it is
Old 03-21-2017, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny. I have used the same thing in the past with some heavy grease. The grease kinda grabs the crud and brings it out with the bolt. But I was skeptical during this installation because it said not to grease the new bolts. Your way would have been even better.

I did the block crack test, the kind with the blue liquid and a tube and a pump. The liquid turns yellow if yiu fail. Liquid stayed blue. I did a compression test and all cylinders were holding compression at 165-175 psi. Best I have ever seen on my cars. When I pulled the plugs, I found oil on the threads. I pulled the intake and it is soaked with oil. I think now it might just be a pcv issue. Installing a catch can today. Hope it will be full tomorrow and no more smoke. That would be so wonderful.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

i dont ever use grease when i chase the holes...

pcv systems can cause it to smoke if you didnt install it the correct way, on my zo6 when i bought it (used) it was consuming oil would smoke every time i got aggressive after tracking it down it was the pcv system oil consumption is was down and hardly any smoke

Last edited by stroker87; 03-21-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Glad to hear its not a cracked block, did you happen to notice if your left valve cover has a round or square hole in it for the pcv system... gm updated the valve covers for oil consumption. Telltale is the shape of the hole inside the valve cover, original was round, update was square...
Old 03-21-2017, 08:30 PM

I have the original style. But after pulling the hose and seeing the mist, I'm sure it is a pcv problem. Or maybe I cleaned my rings too good and now I have combustion in the oil passages that I didn't before. Or maybe I had this problem all along but my hot cats hid the problem. The world may never know. But I intend to find out in the next 2 days. I will keep you all posted
Old 03-23-2017, 04:47 PM

Bad pcv valve. As for the few dtr codes I have
P0011
P0016
P0036
P0053
p0054
P0056
p0060
P0141
P0161
p0230

P0230 was because I unpluged the fuel pump relay to prime the oil system before initial engine start.
P0011 and p0016 are codes related to installing the comp cam phaser in a fairly stock tune.
And everything else is related to deleting the rear O2 sensors.
The smoke was my only real problem all along and it was a simple pcv valve letting lots of oil in my intake. Which I had before I did the cam swap but I didn't realize it. I just need to get blackbear to give me a new tune now and I should be back to 0 codes and be able to use my remote start again.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Do you have a way to clear the codes? If not disconnect the battery for a few minutes and see what codes come back... you need to do a crank relearn as well!