Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

New vvt cam. Now I'm screwed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New vvt cam. Now I'm screwed.

I just installed a eps vvt cam in my 207 yukon denali. 6.2 6 speed non afm/dod. It sounded great when I fired it the first time. And I had lots of oil pressure. Almost 50 at idle with 5 w 30
I figured while I was changing the cam I would change every gasket and only used factory gaskets and replaced all the bolts with factory replacements except ARP crank bolt and exhaust bolts.

I installed a custom cam, comp phaser limiter kit (the correct one for my phaser), ported and shimmed oil pump and new oring, new hd timing chain and tensioner, new lifters, rockers, and pushrods, I also installed 1 7/8 long tube headers and an off road y pipe that merges to a 3.5 inch exhaust with a flowmaster 40. So I deleted the rear O2 sensors and the cats. Mobil 5w30 synthetic with a bottle of break in lube. Also plugs and wires and paper air filter.

I started it and it roared to life. Huge lope at idle, idle is rough. And a little white smoke and water from the exhaust. And 4 codes which were all related to the rear 02 sensors.

today I decided to drive it to the gas station 3 miles away. Never went above 3k rpm. Really granny like. Every time it stopped after it warmed up, the white smoke would start from the exhaust. And the oil pressure dropped to 20 psi at 600 rpm when hot. On my way home the white smoke got really bad and when I parked I revd it to 2500 to see if the smoke would clear up, which it didnt. It looked like I was seafoaming it. Also I got 2 new codes
p0011 and p0016 which appear to be related to the cam position or maybe the vvt malfunctioning.

my question is, what are the posible causes for the smoke and will the new cam and phaser limiter I installed have caused the new codes or did I screw something up and have to tear it down again

the smoke I think could be oil, residual antifreeze in the engine and exhaust from when I pulled the heads, a blown head gasket, or oil from inside the new headers burning off. But I think it would have cleared up by now if it was anything but the head gasket.

looking for any tips ideas or something to help identify and correct these issues. The drop in oil pressure scares me but I hear 20 psi is still ok. And the 2 cam codes scare me alot. But the smoke is my main concern
Old 03-17-2017, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Have you retuned it? If you think theres a headgasket issue do a compression test, and check for watr in the oil. If there was any water in the cylinders when you reassebled the engine it woukdve smoked for a while but should have cleared up as it burned off. And is it a cliud of white smoke that doesnt dissipate or just some white visible smoke coming out of the tailpipes?
As for the codes, you may be off a tooth, or didnt reconnect the harness connector all the way.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:42 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Sounds like a head gasket to me...
Old 03-18-2017, 02:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Did you get all of the old coolant and oil out of the head bolt holes? If not you could have cracked the block...you should always get it all out, then blow them out with compressed air, then clean everything up with nonchlorinated brake clean, then blow the holes out again!! The bolt holes in the block are blind holes, so there is no where for the coolant and whatever else is in the holes to go, and when you torque the ehad bolts it will crack the block!
Old 03-18-2017, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Did you get all of the old coolant and oil out of the head bolt holes? If not you could have cracked the block...you should always get it all out, then blow them out with compressed air, then clean everything up with nonchlorinated brake clean, then blow the holes out again!! The bolt holes in the block are blind holes, so there is no where for the coolant and whatever else is in the holes to go, and when you torque the ehad bolts it will crack the block!
I seriously doubt I got all the water out of the holes
​​​​I have never heard this before but with an aluminum block I'm seriously worried now. It is definitely coming out the tailpipe.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do a compression test and check to see if in fact you are losing coolant. Also check your oil and see if it looks like a chocolate milkshake.. quick and easy way if you have one or have access to one is a block tester that tests for combustion gases in the cooling system. Once you figure out what cylinder(s), then need to figure out whether its head gasket or cracked block!!
Old 03-18-2017, 11:53 PM

Looks like both head gaskets are leaking. I used original gm gaskets and gm bolts and I cleaned the gasket surfaces and used the exact torque pattern and specs. I have no idea why they would both be leaking. Any chance the felpro head gaskets or some other aftermarket gaskets or the copper spray would help? I spent so much time and money on this cam upgrade. Another head gasket failure would just destroy me. This is bad enough. I would gladly pay 4x as much for a gasket that will seal guaranteed.will arp head bolts help?
Old 03-19-2017, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

How did you determine they were leaking? Never had an issue with gm or aftermarket head gaskets leaking if installed and torqued properly!
Old 03-19-2017, 12:36 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Are you sure you installed them on the correct side facing the correct way? It is possible to install them incorrectly. Sorry to hear about that :/
Old 03-19-2017, 03:09 AM

After the engine was at operating temp I used an ir temp gun on each exhaust pipe on my header. 3 out of 8 were almost 50 degrees colder than the others. Not exact science but I pulled the 2 easiest plugs and they were wet. No antifreeze in oil and no bubbles in the resivore. But white smoke from exhaust. I am confident enough it is the gaskets. I will be changing them with ls 9 gaskets asap using copper spray. Unless someone her can tell me something more reliable.