Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine & heads burning oil badly :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New engine & heads burning oil badly :(

I just put this engine in about a month ago. 05' LQ9 w/ roughly 1500 miles on it. The heads are Patriot CNC'd LS6 w/ their dual springs.

Every morning I've noticed it puffs out a nice cloud of white smoke. I know its oil because you can definatly smell it. Ok, I figured no big deal probably a bad valve seal.
Well time come to change the oil and my Oil Low Level light comes on. So I proceed to drail the oil into a new container and only get 1 gallon of oil including most of whats in the filter which equals to about 4 quarts. It managed to burn up 2 quarts of oil within a months time.

I don't know if its a problem with the heads or the engine. I just saw this article; https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525450
and it got me thinking.
I'm not sure how to determine what is causing the problem.

Here is video after truck being driving and then sat for only about an hour.

Here is a video right after that one. Watch when I rev it up.

Here is my setup for the pcv system. The rear driver goes from the valve cover to the inline oil filter(catch can) then to the intake. The passenger line runs from the valve cover straight into the throttle body.

Old 06-17-2006, 05:12 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are they ported heads? seems like patriot parts lately have been doing that with oil consumption. or the rings are bad which i doubt

seems like when they port the heads they go thru or make them too thin. theres a reason why patriot's **** is so cheap
Old 06-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
theres a reason why patriot's **** is so cheap

If I remember correctly they port them too thin right where the rocker arm holes are tapped. Maybe pull the rockers throw some loc tite in there and see if that cures it and is alot easier than a head swap
Old 06-17-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Quik
are they ported heads? seems like patriot parts lately have been doing that with oil consumption. or the rings are bad which i doubt

seems like when they port the heads they go thru or make them too thin. theres a reason why patriot's **** is so cheap
Yes they are ported. They may be cheap but I wouldn't consider them ****. I've only heard of this (porting too much into the runners) once and that was a TSP set of heads. I have not heard of anyone complaining that patriot heads were junk except for when they first started producing them but they seem to have gotten that taken care of.

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71

If I remember correctly they port them too thin right where the rocker arm holes are tapped. Maybe pull the rockers throw some loc tite in there and see if that cures it and is alot easier than a head swap
That was my first thought and I did pull the rocker bolts back out and put sealant on them but that hasn't helped any.

I'm thinking I may pull the valve covers and prop the intake manifold up just enough to snake a small light into the runner and see if I can see any light coming through the top of the heads.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

What kind of oil are you using. I have been told not to use synthetic oil until after break in. I would also check the valve seals. I have found aftermarket heads sometime come with no seals or real crappy ones. I put a set of world heads on my bronco that only had seals on the intake ports on one head and no seals on the other. It smoked on startup untill I replaced the valve stem seals. If you used eos or stp on the rings it may take a while for them to seat especially if you used moly rings. Just my .02
Old 06-18-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dirty Dave
What kind of oil are you using. I have been told not to use synthetic oil until after break in. I would also check the valve seals. I have found aftermarket heads sometime come with no seals or real crappy ones. I put a set of world heads on my bronco that only had seals on the intake ports on one head and no seals on the other. It smoked on startup untill I replaced the valve stem seals. If you used eos or stp on the rings it may take a while for them to seat especially if you used moly rings. Just my .02

I used regular dino oil the first time and those video clips were with Amsoil synthetic 5w30.
The seals are whatever Patriot uses.
I originally thought valve seals too, but it also smokes a little after its been running when you rev it up, which makes me think it might be more.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:32 AM
5 year bitches!

buddy had issues with those type of seals when using dual springs, they kept popping up and allowing oil to pass by
Old 06-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

If the valve guides are sloppy that could be the issue as well. It is common for them to just reuse the guides and not replace them or knurl or bush them in any way. Maybe they did not replace the stem seals who knows.

Also for the engine what was the reason it was taken out of the 05? Was it due to oil consumption or was it a wreck. If it was taken out for any reason besides a wreck I would worry.

It is a 50/50 shot being the heads or shortblock.

Doesn't trying to go fast just make you happy??
Old 06-18-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Well I'll have to speak to Gunnar and see if they put brand new seals in or what.

As for the engine, it actually was pulled out by Lingenfelter from a Escalade that they were putting a 427 twin turbo engine into it. They sold it to a guy on LS1Tech through Ebay and he never used it and I bought it from him. I spoke with a guy at Lingenfelter and he assured me that there was nothing wrong with the engine when they pulled it.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:29 PM
5 year bitches!

again Patriot FTL

Quick Reply: New engine & heads burning oil badly :(