Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Need HPTuners help.Timing dip at launch..

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HPTuners help.Timing dip at launch..

When I go WOT from a stop,it feels like it falls on it's face than picks back up..When i looked at a log,there is a timeing dip just off idle..It looks like TM to me,or it could be burst knock too but,which table's should i change?..I posted it on the HPT forums too.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you haven't gotten rid of tq managment then there is a really good chance that is the problem.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, could be a TM abuse mode, or either that it's BK kicking in.

I turned off all TM abuse modes.

The BK 'threshold' table (forget the exact name - the table where the values are like .XXX ), you can multiply the table by 2, to see if that clears it up...
Old 11-16-2004, 09:41 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I have edit, and the only way I could get rid of that was set the spark retard limit table to 20 degrees in that rpm range. I got rid of all the TM and BK, and still couldn't stop it. Hopefully you hptuners guys can find a table that works.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

That's strange, BB02.

I'll have to check out my logs and see if I'm getting it or not. My truck leaves the line fairly hard, so I never really looked into it.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't tried this yet (because mine gets so much airflow off the line it is off the chart) but in the High Octane timing table look at what your timing is at low rpms and high airflow. i.e. the lower left corner. The timing numbers there are pretty low. These are where you start off when you floor it from idle. Try adding +3 to those low timing cells.
Ya and like others have said, get rid of torque management

let me know if this helps -it should. **As always when increasing timing, run good gas.. 92 or greater and keep an ear tuned for knock.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got rid of most of the TM,and multiplied the "Burst KR Enable Delta cyl air" by 2 across the board and got this..I dont thank it's TM or BK because this log looks about the same..

Im going to try adding +3 to high octane timeing table and see what that does..This is what it looks like now stock..
Old 11-18-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I added +3 to my High octane table from 0.72g/cyl to 2800rpm strait down to the bottom and got this..I wonder what's causing that.. It kills me off the line.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Wow.

I think it's all in your HO timing table now...

Do you know what g/cyl range you hit off the line there?

I don't think I get up to the high 70's or low 80's until I have a few thousand rpm's turning, but I'm not certain on that. If you're blown, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you're hitting that area.

I DO know that my HO timing table is drastically different. I'm pulling 20* in the 76-80 g/cyl range way down low in the RPM range.... definitely not -1.

Here... is a very very early HO timing table of mine. I think all I did was fill in a dip in the part throttle cruise range under 2000rpm. My 80g/cyl range is now up around 27* in the upper RPM's. (this old table makes me laugh a bit)

If you throw some timing there, it'll be like night and day.

I'll try to get up my latest table tomorrow - it's on my other computer.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marc_w
Wow.

I think it's all in your HO timing table now...

Do you know what g/cyl range you hit off the line there?

I don't think I get up to the high 70's or low 80's until I have a few thousand rpm's turning, but I'm not certain on that. If you're blown, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if you're hitting that area.

I DO know that my HO timing table is drastically different. I'm pulling 20* in the 76-80 g/cyl range way down low in the RPM range.... definitely not -1.

Here... is a very very early HO timing table of mine. I think all I did was fill in a dip in the part throttle cruise range under 2000rpm. My 80g/cyl range is now up around 27* in the upper RPM's. (this old table makes me laugh a bit)

If you throw some timing there, it'll be like night and day.

I'll try to get up my latest table tomorrow - it's on my other computer.
At the timeing dip it's at 7.50g/cyl..It does feel like it needs more timeing all the way through the shifts.How can I smooth it out a little?Im still N/A but,at sea level.I thank that's why my MAP is so high..

Quick Reply: Need HPTuners help.Timing dip at launch..